We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help finding a condo/villa?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
417 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
Help finding a condo/villa?

My parents, my wife, and I are still on the hunt for the perfect accommodations in Grand Cayman. The four of us are planning our first trip to the island in March of next year. My parents are avid scuba divers, and my wife and I are avid beach bums. :) We've all been to Turks and Caicos several times, and we want to try something different for this trip.

That said, we're having a hard time finding the kinds of accommodations that seem to be in abundance on Provo. Namely, we're looking for nicely decorated, semi-luxury rentals with a gorgeous ocean view, two master-like suites, and a pool. We'd also like air-conditioning and WiFi, if possible.

The few homes we've found in GC that fit the bill are WAY too large (6+ bedrooms). Others may have a good view, but many have lackluster pools and interiors that aren't updated. We'd love to find something bright, clean, with lots of light.

Since we can't seem to find the right stand alone house, we're now considering condos and attached villas, but I'm not sure we wouldn't be better off with a hotel.

The Cotton Tree homes still seem like the best match, but they don't have a great beach nearby.

Our budget is around $1000/night.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,014 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help finding a condo/villa?

Given your interests and budget, I would suggest looking at the Coralstone Club or The Avalon. Both are within your budget and are on a great stretch of pristine white sand beach.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help finding a condo/villa?

There are any number of great condos and villas that would fit the bill. Don't know how many have two master bedrooms, but the view, pool, a/c great beach are no brainers. Some offer wifi some don't. Villas and condos are more common than houses and there are many that are completely outstanding. Are you renting a car? Do you want to stay near where there are more shops and restaurants? The best beach for sunning and lazing is SMB and therefore it is the more built up area. Have you looked at properties like The Beachcomber, Carib Club, Meridian, Coral Stone even older properties like Lacovia which has a great location were totally updated after Hurricane Ivan. If you stay in the SMB area dive ops will pick up and drop off. "Bright, clean with lots of light" seems minimal to me!!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
417 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help finding a condo/villa?

We will be renting a car. We'd like to be near a great stretch of beach (and I know that probably means SMB), but we'd like to avoid being in the middle of too much "touristy" stuff, if at all possible.

That is, if we could find a wonderful condo in a less busy area, we'd probably prefer it. But if we find a perfect condo in the more developed areas, we wouldn't object to that either.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,877 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help finding a condo/villa?

What sites are you checking? You were given a number of possible properties the first time you asked the question. What about them was unsatisfactory? Maybe that information will help others to offer additional suggestions. As I recall, you were quite specific about furnishings, etc.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
417 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help finding a condo/villa?

I've looked at VRBO, TA, HomeAway, and various sites found when searching for "Grand Cayman rentals" on Google.

You're right, we are a bit picky about furnishings. As I've explained before, we like to spend a lot of time relaxing around the rental home, and we really love to stay in places that are aesthetically beautiful. So, for us, that means no wicker furniture, neon painted walls, dark wood everywhere, etc.

I guess you could say we like a very "beachy/Pottery Barn" vibe, which we've come across in abundance on other islands.

There are a couple of those kinds of homes we've found on GC, but they are all 6+ bedrooms and way outside of our budget (like $15000/week).

We'll keep looking.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,877 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help finding a condo/villa?

I hate to be the spoiler but perhaps asking on this forum will be the best way to find what you want. Since you are particular and have a reasonable budget, it is worth calling some of the condo managers directly, express your preferences and let them help direct you to a unit that has a décor with which you would be satisfied. As suggested, Caribbean Club, Avalon and Coral Stone are upscale properties with great beaches but interior décor will vary by owner. Beachcomber and Meridian might also fit the bill. I would venture to say that no one here has seen the interior of every unit, and pictures on the internet might be outdated. For a quieter area, The Renaissance, a newer and upscale property in northern Seven Mile Beach might have what you are looking for. For VRBO properties, same advice. Contact the owner directly with specific questions, do not rely solely on pictures.

Edited: 17 July 2013, 23:36
Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,877 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help finding a condo/villa?

" asking on this forum will be the best way to find what you want. "

Sorry, meant to say not the best way to find what you want.

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help finding a condo/villa?

Here are a couple of websites that specialize in villas:

http://www.caymanvillas.com/ (Testudo suggested this in a previous post)

and

http://www.grandcaymanvillas.net/

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,367 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help finding a condo/villa?

Coralstone Club, Meridian, Beachcomber, Casa Caribe, Cononial Club, Avalon are all worth you time to consider for upscale within budget. Convenient to many shops and services and although located in "busier, more populated" area of prime central SMB, offer serene beachfronts

On pristine sand.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,877 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help finding a condo/villa?

Agree that these are all fine properties. I still say that we can all recommend properties or websites in general, but none of us can speak to the current interior decor in every unit, which seems important to the OP. If these properties are of interest to him, management or owners should be contacted directly for particulars prior to booking.

Edited: 18 July 2013, 01:24