We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget Car rental on Grand Cayman

Clemson, South...
Level Contributor
234 posts
329 reviews
Save Topic
Budget Car rental on Grand Cayman

We will visit Grand Cayman in January of 2014 and have been looking at renting a car from Budget. The question is why is the rate so different (much cheaper) when I go to reserve a Toyota Yaris on the generic budget,com site from the rate ($135 more) when trying to reserve the exact same car on the budgetcayman.com site. Are the two not the same company? And it looks like the budgetcayman.com site has a bunch more recommended adders for third party liability insurance @ $11/day, personal accident protection @ $3/day (supposed to be "out of their own pocket"???), road side safety net @ $3/day $20/week, a total of $17/day extra without the collision damage waiver ($20/day) which my Amex credit card will cover for the one time $24 fee. Is Budget on Cayman unique with all these charges or do all the rent-a-car places there charge these fees?

Any advice regarding car rental in general on Grand Cayman would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, NPH

39 replies to this topic
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,714 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget Car rental on Grand Cayman

I have found that, depending on how you access even the identical site, rates can be dramatically different. You should try www.kayak.com to compare many different car rental agencies at once rather than simply comparing one budget site to another.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,761 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget Car rental on Grand Cayman

Agree Kayak is a great comparison tool. Also, double check that the prices being quoted on each site are in the same currency. I know the budget.com site allows a quote in both KYD & USD,

Clemson, South...
Level Contributor
234 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget Car rental on Grand Cayman

I've used Kayak as well as several other car search sites and certainly agree that quotes do vary. The best site seems to be the Budget.com, at least for Budget rentals, and, since we are old folks, using the AARP discount helps a bit there as well. What about the local spots like Andy's and others. Also - we want to do some hiking. Would we need 4WD, like a jeep, to get to good hiking trails?

Thanks for the advice.

NPH

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,095 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget Car rental on Grand Cayman

A 4 WD is completely unnecessary, the roads are flat and paved. As for hiking, other than the Mastic Trail, your hiking opportunities will be limited in Grand Cayman.

Edited: 23 July 2013, 21:29
Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,709 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget Car rental on Grand Cayman

Some friends who were recently flying to the island overheard other passengers on the flight saying that they were spending their vacation exploring the "interior" of Grand Cayman.

I had visions of them walking through the mangroves....

I have driven around in Breakers and a few other places, and I agree that a 4WD seems to be overkill.

6. Re: Budget Car rental on Grand Cayman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2013, 13:11

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget Car rental on Grand Cayman

avoid these clowns at all cots, got back state side and they charged the credit card $600! to replace a key we lost. The key retails for $60

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,709 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget Car rental on Grand Cayman

Except that I'm pretty sure that standard operating procedure for a lost key is to change the locks on the car, which would presumably also include the ignition key. That would cost quite a bit more than $60.

If you go online you will find many threads about lost keys and the charges that rental companies levy - that's not just budget and it's not just on Cayman.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget Car rental on Grand Cayman

For comparison, Hertz USA charges a minimum of $200 for a lost key along with any and all related charges. Considering the fact you're on an island, $600 isn't unreasonable

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budget Car rental on Grand Cayman

We used Budget once and it was not a great experience so we went back to using Andy's, Avis or Hertz since then. Our issues with them were around the car key fobs breaking. While I'm sure many others can rate them positively, we found our experience to not be ideal. There are plenty of very good other rental agencies available if you do your research.

Reply to: Budget Car rental on Grand Cayman
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman