We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feeding Fish is Illegal

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,517 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Feeding Fish is Illegal

FYI. I wonder if this applies to Tarpon Feeding as well?

From the Cayman Islands DOE:

"Our marine animals do not need feeding. It is forbidden by law in order to protect both our precious environment and people. If you see anyone feeding fish or other marine animals anywhere in Cayman waters (with the exception of the Wildlife Interaction Zones), or if anyone offers you food of any kind to through into the water, please call 911 or the DoE Chief Conservation Officer 916-4271. Or let us know via email doe@gov.ky or on here."

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php…

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feeding Fish is Illegal

Good find, Testudo!

I am just as (if not more) concerned about the snorkelers who feed the fish around the reef balls in front of the Marriott or at the reefs near Cemetery Beach, etc. I wish every visitor (air or ship) could be given a list of marine laws as they enter the island.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,517 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feeding Fish is Illegal

Feeding fish while snorkeling is illegal as well.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
904 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feeding Fish is Illegal

So if a hungry shark takes a bite out of me someday then I'm guilty of feeding fish...

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,517 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feeding Fish is Illegal

2 years in solitary.

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feeding Fish is Illegal

"FYI. I wonder if this applies to Tarpon Feeding as well?"

Since the Wharf has consistently promoted their "Tarpon Feeding" for many years, I need to think that it is either legal or that there is NO hope that the regulations will ever be enforced.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,517 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feeding Fish is Illegal

Sent an email to the DoE, inquiring about "Tarpon Feeding".

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
904 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feeding Fish is Illegal

Tukka feeds tarpon as well.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,153 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Feeding Fish is Illegal

A very good point - if they are going to have the law, they should be consistent how they enforce it. Testudo, I'd be interested to know what you hear back.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,446 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Feeding Fish is Illegal

They may have permits. It is like Stingray City, the ops are supposed to have permits and the feeding in now regulated. Many offences in GC come with huge fines which the gov't is more than happy to collect. Seems hard to believe that places that openly advertise and feed the tarpon would do so without some type of arrangement. I have seen divers visiting the island come of boats with their lion fish spears. They are politely told they are not allowed to bring the spears in the water. Some take it well but many don't. There are different licenses etc available to residents which are not to tourists thank goodness. Perhaps the rules were specifically put into place for the morons who think watching fish eat cheese whiz or Pringles is great. Years ago when we were served oranges on the boats we were allowed to toss the peels overboard -- even that has stopped now. I don't think the places doing Tarpon Feeding fall into the same category as visitors like us.

Edited: 21 July 2013, 14:00
Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,517 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Feeding Fish is Illegal

According to the DoE, it is illegal even for licensed Lionfish cullers to feed their kill to other reef denizens. The only places where feeding of marine animals is permitted are in Wildlife Interaction Zones (WIZ). The only two WIZ I am aware of are Sting Ray City and Sting Ray Sand Bar.

I'll update the thread if the DoE responds to my question regarding Tarpon feeding.