We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cayman bought (LIME) cell phone ?

MA
Level Contributor
639 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
cayman bought (LIME) cell phone ?

I have had a phone that I purchased from LIME for years that I use while on the island. I just turned it on tonight to check the battery. I received 2 text messages from LIME and one states something re. roaming charges at $12 mb and the second one tells me welcome to the US and to enjoy my trip etc. and a number to listen to when checking my voicemail. I have not been on the island since April.

Any idea why these 2 messages for just turning on the phone? Also, any idea if I am having my minutes deducted by turning on the phone in the US? I bought minutes before I left the island to keep the phone number until I return. What if I scroll thru the phone to get phone numbers or check old text messages, but do not text or make calls?

Lastly, does anyone have a contact number (preferably an 800 number) for LIME in Cayman?

I am not too phone savy...if you could not tell. Thanks.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,960 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cayman bought (LIME) cell phone ?

If you have roaming enabled on your phone (and not airplane mode for example), your phone will immediately begin roaming and updating voice and text when you turn it on. The same would be the case if, for example, you take your roaming enabled AT&T phone from the US and turn it on while out of the country. You can disable communication on your phone by putting the phone on airplane mode to prevent further text messages.

Regardless, you can top up your phone and check your balance at the following website:

http://www.time4lime.com/ky/

MA
Level Contributor
639 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cayman bought (LIME) cell phone ?

Thanks, smushie. It is an old flip-top style phone- not sure it has the airplane mode feature. I will contact Lime with the website you provided. I never had this happen before. Thank you very much!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cayman bought (LIME) cell phone ?

It will generally happen with every phone you take to another country, I used to live in the extreme Southern tip of England and would get 'Welcome to Vodafone France' text messages constantly. It's just a free information text to inform you of rates and voicemail number. If it's an old flip phone, I doubt it had always-on data connectivity so shouldn't have used any unless you manually tried to update stuff. Having the phone on but not using it won't cost you anything

MA
Level Contributor
639 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cayman bought (LIME) cell phone ?

Thanks for your help! :-)

5. Re: cayman bought (LIME) cell phone ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2014, 06:20