We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stingray City with a three year old....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Topic
Stingray City with a three year old....

I am planning to take my three year old girl to Stingray City and I was wondering how others felt about the experience for their youngster? Did they find it fun?? Was the process too long??? Would you take a three year old again??? Any other insight would be appreciated, thanks!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,569 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stingray City with a three year old....

My daughter first went she was 3 and her brother was 5. We went to Stingray City (not the Sandbar). They were already very comfortable in a snorkel vest and with a mask and fins. She still claims (after having travelled extensively) that it is one of her favorite places. She now lives on the island and goes regularly on her day off with friends -- it had a great affect on her! I was there in May with friends who had a 3 year girl and 5 year old boy ironically. Both of those kids were also very comfortable in the water and wearing their snorkel equipment. They had a blast and keep asking when they can go back! We went to the Sandbar with them. In the case of little ones they can't stand at either place anyway but Mom or Dad's comfort level in the water can come into play if they feel more at ease to stand. While I would quickly say it is great for kids of any age, I would clarify that it depends on the child's comfort level in the water and even around animals. Do your little one like the zoo, aquarium, pets? Does he or she feel comfortable in the water wearing a flotation device and a mask? The bathtub is a great place to practice!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stingray City with a three year old....

Excellent advice! My little one is very comfortable with all the above except for the mask and fins, as she has never worn them but maybe with a bit of practice!

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,716 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stingray City with a three year old....

You would get a good view of them even without mask and I don't think they allow you to wear fins at the sandbar...I think I remember that. The water is clear.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stingray City with a three year old....

The great thing is that may daughter will still be three when we go, so she is free! It will probably be worth the risk!! Thanks for the input though!!

5. Re: Stingray City with a three year old....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 06:19