As usual while I was preparing for our family vacation to a new destination, I heavily relied on trip advisor and faithfully checked and read posts for many days. Of course, I gathered a lot of information and made lists of possible excursions and restaurants to visit but I was struck by the number of people who were frequent visitors of Grand Cayman. Not just twice or three times but many, many times. It didn't take long after our arrival to understand why. We had an incredible vacation and loved every minute of it! Some of our impressions :
* the island is incredibly clean, safe and upscale.
* it is such an international place. We spoke with many people who were working there and they came from all over the world. More than one told of initially coming for 6 months and still being there years later.
* the dining is incredible! The sheer amount of restaurants, variety of menus and multitude of good reviews makes it difficult to decide where to eat. What a great problem! Some of our favourites were Ragazzi for pasta, XQ for seafood pizza, Icoa Fine Foods and Lauren's for breakfast. We visited many more and did not have any bad experiences.
* everyone is very friendly and will always take the time to engage in a conversation and answer in detail any questions you have.
* the ocean and beach were wonderful.
* everyone was right - it was great to have a rental car for the entire time and driving on the opposite side of the road and navigating the round abouts came easier than we expected.
* we stayed at the Ritz Carlton and loved it! Great service and lots of extras included in the rate you pay.
* we enjoyed every aspect of our trip and will certainly return.
Thanks to all who post regularly. Many times I felt so fortunate to have read such valuable advice on this forum. ( The very day we arrived and were picking up our rental car we witnessed a man giving the employee a bit of a hard time re the fee for a Cayman driving license but we were totally prepared for this.).
If you're one of the people who are quietly sitting back and reading the forum and trying to decide whether or not to make a trip to Grand Cayman - don't hesitate. Yes it can be on the expensive side but you can work around that with condos and eating in. You will have wonderful memories and a great experience.
Until our next trip....