We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Priority for 3 days over Labor Day weekend

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Priority for 3 days over Labor Day weekend

We will be there for 3 full days over the labor day weekend. Staying at the Reef and renting a car. We have our own snorkel gear. We have researched to no end BUT we need help with what snorkel stops we MUST DO during that short period of time. We want to drive around the island from spot to spot and get the best ones for seeing great coral but also marine life. The wrecks look appealing too for sure. We did a similar vacation in Hawaii and loved pulling over and just jumping in. But I am drowning in data and Testudo's Guide is amazing but way too much than we can do in 3 full days. so we need help, then we will come back for more time when we can and catch the rest.

Suggestions please?

Thank you so much!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
215 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Priority for 3 days over Labor Day weekend

You'll make the most of your limited time if you divide the island up geographically. I would:

Spend a day up on the north side -- the Rum Point areas that Testudo describes are fantastic. Check out Queen's Monument/Connolly's Cove and Wonderland, too. Stop at Starfish Beach if it strikes your fancy.

Spend a day on the west side of the island. Schedule lots of time for Eden Rock, check out Cemetary or Governor's if you want to combine some OK snorkeling with the beauty of Seven Mile Beach. I would've said otherwise until recently, but maybe stop at Smith's Cove for just a bit. It's a pretty beach spot and apparently has a resident octopus, according to Frenchies_10! It gets deep out there, so kind of hard to see some things.

For your third day (these are in no order, by the way; check local conditions to decide which days favor which sides of the island), I'd take the 3-hour snorkel trip with Ocean Frontiers on the east side. I've never been snorkeling on the east side, so maybe there are other things to check out there? Or Bodden Town near Turtle Nest Inn (slightly east), maybe? We like to leave time on our last day to hit up a favorite spot again, too.

Hope you enjoy your quick trip!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
215 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Priority for 3 days over Labor Day weekend

Should've said, "I've never been snorkeling FROM SHORE on the east side"...

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,877 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Priority for 3 days over Labor Day weekend

You should plan a trip to Stingray City that combines a snorkel stop or two. It is truly an experience that is unique to the island.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,108 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Priority for 3 days over Labor Day weekend

I agree that a Stingray City ( sandbar ) trip with a snorkeling. stop or two should be a priority. If snorkeling is your priority, skip the West side of the island and stick to the area by Morriits. and The Reef and spots on North Side recommended by Testudo. I thinkk that the Ocean Frontiers snorkel trip is only scheduled for Wednesdays, you can save that for next time.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
920 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Priority for 3 days over Labor Day weekend

My top three snorkel spots, in order:

1. Rum Point Reef Route out to Rum Point Boulder Coral Garden

2. Eden Rock

3. Connolly's Cove

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
548 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Priority for 3 days over Labor Day weekend

My favorite places after this trip were:

Rum Point Barrier Reef - great coral and fish ( I would go here over and over again because it was always different)

Rum Point Shore Snorkel - we liked this a lot and at around 4:30 - 6:00 this gets really lively and the fish don't seem as shy. So much to see here!

Rum Point Coral Gardens - Beautiful and we saw Turtles on our way in a couple of times

Connelly Cove - Check the tide table before you go to GC, High tide is your friend here. It's got great snorkeling.

Smiths Cove if you are already in town. We didn't see as much here but I did see an Ocotpus and some huge Parrotfish. When you are done stop in at Pure Art she doesn't mind as long a you dry off:)

We took a cooler with us and just ate our lunch after we got done snorkeling and then we were off to the next spot!

If I had 3 days I would stay in the Cayman Kai/Rum Point area. On my trip report I put the location on many of the pictures to give you an idea what we saw there. I hope you have a wonderful time!!!

7. Re: Priority for 3 days over Labor Day weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 06:21