We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report 8/22-8/31

Crowley, Texas
Level Contributor
344 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report 8/22-8/31

Well, we are sitting through a rain delay on our last day on GC, so thought I would give a little report. We stayed at Christopher Columbus Condos for our third time, and will be back again. It is very well managed by Lisa, and everything is up-to-date, clean, and working. We had a minor plumbing issue, and it was fixed within a few hours. This is a three bedroom condo with full, updated kitchen (every cooking utensil imaginable), and two full baths. It is ground floor facing the very nice pool and beach. It has a fabulous wide sandy beach, sandy water access, and decent snorkeling within a couple of hundred yards.

We made breakfast and lunch at our condo every day to save money, and made dinner 4 times - two by grilling on the provided Weber grills. Food is not cheap, but making it yourself is cheaper than dining out every meal. For those who have used Foster's grocery store on central SMB as well as the Foster's at the north end of SMB, you might be interested to know the north Foster's (about 1 minute from our condo by car) has been expanded and updated. It is now almost as nice as the Foster's on Central SMB.

Restaurants -- We ate twice at the Sunshine Grill. We love the atmosphere (semi-outdoor bar and grill) and the food is great. Hamburgers, jerk chicken, fish or shrimp tacos at an average price of $12-15 US. Their side dishes are caribbean, spicy and creative. We will be back on our next trip.

Next was the Cracked Conch. Beautiful sunset view and great upscale food (at an upscale price -$30-40 US per entree). Just below the Cracked Conch level is Macabuca outside bar and grill - also a great sunset venue. Fish and chips, hamburgers, jerk chicken, etc with some outstanding appetizers with a caribbean flair. Similar prices to Sunshine Grill. It's also great to watch the night divers enter the water from a ladder right off of the Macabuca patio (also visible from Cracked Conch). After dark, you can see the divers' lights as they head out to open water.

Best meal, hands down was Calypso Grill at Morgan's Harbour. Somehow we had missed this place on our previous three visits to GC. The food was simply delicious. Two of us had the local daily catch (Mahi Mahi) blackened with sides of fresh steamed vegetable. Scrumptious! Then came desert. They are famous for their Sticky Toffee Pudding, and with good reason. We also had the cheescake with Mango sauce. The cheesecake was thick and creamy just like I like it. Calypso Grill has an outdoor section right on the wharf - not very pretty, but full of atmosphere with fishing boats tied up right next to the restaurant. The inside portion of the restaurant has a more formal look and a large formal bar. I almost forgot that the chef is known for his crab cakes, and crab cakes happen to be one of my favorite foods. The crab cakes were divine even at the price - two for $21 CI. One of our party eats no seafood and got the beef filet. It was super tender and tasty. Just can't say enough good things about this place.

One rainy night we drove down to Sunset House which is a diver hangout south of Georgetown. They have a huge outdoor bar that serves a lot of divers and boat crew that drink and eat there. It's on the rocky coast and has good fish and chips and hamburgers. It was probably our least favorite meal, but it was also the least expensive.

Weather - It was raining when we got here on the 22nd and rained much of the 23rd although there were some openings of sun for beach activity later in the day on the 23rd. After that, SMB was calm and clear for the rest of the trip until today, the 31st. The morning was sunny and then rain came in for a couple of hours. Looks like it might clear up for a little more beach activity this afternoon. August is supposed to be a rainy month, but 90% of our ten days were not affected b y rain. Once again, it is our little trip to paradise. Can't wait for the next one!

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report 8/22-8/31

Thanks for posting! My husband was on island the 21st - 28th, so I'm very aware of the amount of rain you had.

Crowley, Texas
Level Contributor
344 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report 8/22-8/31

Grrrr, almost forgot our Saturday night at Decker's. It is a must-do dinner for us because we love fresh Caribbean lobster, and Deckers has all you can eat on Tuesday and Saturday ($49.99 CI). Also, the musical duo, Hi Tide performs every Thursday thru Saturday. Best dinner atmosphere for our taste on the island.

Edited: 31 August 2013, 21:39
Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,832 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report 8/22-8/31

Glad you all enjoyed the island once again, thanks for your trip report. Safe trip home.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
545 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report 8/22-8/31

Thank you for your trip report! I agree with you, I can hardly wait for next time : )

Crowley, Texas
Level Contributor
344 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report 8/22-8/31

I just have to add my praises for the location of our last meal tonight -- dinner at Ragazzi. Excellent pizza from wood fired oven and delicious appetizers and Italian entrees for those of our party that didn't want pizza. Elegant interior, but not top drawer prices. $100 US for four adults including tip (no one had alcohol). That was two iced teas, three appetizers, two pizzas and one traditional entree. Give this place a try.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report 8/22-8/31

Enjoyed reading about your great trip - that crawfish (ok, Caribbean lobster) w/ music dinner sounds great! In fact, all that mention of food is making me hungry! Thanks for sharing your little trip to Paradise :)

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
3,995 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report 8/22-8/31

Great trip report, thanks! Sunshine Grill seems to get mixed reviews, and it's good to hear different opinions that actually describe what they liked- helps us all understand why someone liked it (or didn't).

The condo approach, doing breakfast and lunch in and then eating out most nights definitely seems the way to go in order to be able to enjoy Grand Cayman without spending unnecessary money.

Agree with you on Ragazzi - really nice dining experience, if a little busy.

It's also nice to hear the weather put in perspective - I was there for three weeks back in July and August, which folks were telling me was the "rainy season" but barely saw any rain.

Glad you enjoyed yourself!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report 8/22-8/31

Great trip report (and we share your love of Sunshine Grill. ) I have never heard about Sunset House but inspite of the bad food it sounds like an interesting setting. I think we will give it a try next time. Thanks for including it in your report.

9. Re: Trip report 8/22-8/31

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2014, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman