We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who has the best Lobster Thermidor?

Illinois
Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Who has the best Lobster Thermidor?

Lobster Thermidor is a must for me whenever we go to the islands. This is our first trip to Cayman, so wanting to find out where I can get the best.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Who has the best Lobster Thermidor?

You can check menus on caymangoodtaste.com and caymanrestaurantguide.com to see who offers it. I am not a fan of warm water lobbies, however, I know places do offer all you can eat lobster nights -- think it is all year round, not only lobster season. I cannot recall seeing termidor as a special or on the menu overall but you never know -- good luck!!!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,021 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Who has the best Lobster Thermidor?

Lobster Thermidor is not exactly a local specialty and I'm unsure of where you would find it on a menu. That said, most lobster served on Grand Cayman is imported and frozen so I would not describe it as "best" even if your desired dish is served somewhere.

The Car-Lee-Chee at Grand Old House is a creamy lobster dish you might enjoy. You can see the menu for this restaurant and others on the Cayman Good Taste website. Enjoy!

http://www.caymangoodtaste.com/

Illinois
Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Who has the best Lobster Thermidor?

Thanks, I have found several places that offer it, just wanted to see if anyone had a BEST. Oh if you are not a fan, then you have not had a great lobster thermidor LOL all meat scooped out mixed with cream, cheeses, garlic and a few more things, then backed..The best I have ever had was in St Marteen...my mouth is watering now HA!

GC
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
666 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Who has the best Lobster Thermidor?

The last lobster thermidor I had here was at Bed, which has been closed for quite some time.

It was Caribbean lobster, not Maine lobster. I would think that many, if not most of the places that server it here use Caribbean lobster.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Who has the best Lobster Thermidor?

Ditto on Bed having the only Thermidor I've ever eaten on island, or seen for that matter. No offence but it is a stereotypical 'old school' type of dish that most modern restaurants would never serve, as Cayman modernises it may be harder than ever to find it

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,021 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Who has the best Lobster Thermidor?

I know what Lobster Thermidor is and I've eaten it before, but your request is like going to Denver and asking who serves the best pan fried grouper, or lobster thermidor for that matter. The lobster meat will almost certainly be frozen Atlantic lobster which is likely what you ate in St. Marteen as well. If that's a dish you seek out, Boston might be high on the list of locations with a "best." On Grand Cayman, I'd suggest checking out some of the local dishes. Either way, good luck on your search!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Who has the best Lobster Thermidor?

It's not Thermador, but Ragazzi has a Lobster Penne dish that is awesome!

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,882 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Who has the best Lobster Thermidor?

" Best " is so subjective. I don't rely on other people's tastes or preferences matching mine.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Who has the best Lobster Thermidor?

When I did a search for lobster thermidor on Cayman Good Taste, several results came up. But when I looked at the menus, there was NONE.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,370 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Who has the best Lobster Thermidor?

As a lifelong coastal New Englander, the ONLY lobster worth eating comes from the cold waters of the North Atlantic:-). Have had Thermidore as well as baked/stuffed, but 99% of our lobster eating (like all those we know from this area) is when it is prepared at a traditional clambake from a rock and seaweed lined pit in the sand, or steamed in a pot. Caribbean lobster is nothing like "real" lobster.

Decades ago went to Iowa for a wedding. On our own the first night we went to a very casual "nothing special" small roadside restaurant and ordered steak dinner. OMG! This beef was better than any of the best prime we ever enjoyed in even the top, most expensive restaurants on the East Coast....and at a fraction of the price! GC has superb restaurants offering outstanding locally caught fish and that is what we order when vacationing on GC except for the occasional night when husband needs a red meat fix and we dine at Copper Falls:-)