We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Increased Crime?

Increased Crime?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2013, 12:22
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,376 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Increased Crime?

I don't think it is something that you need to be that concerned about. It is very important to not put yourself in unsafe situations. I generally won't walk by myself after dark (but I wouldn't do that anywhere!), keep valuables out of sight and keep doors and windows locked at all times. I think these are things that people should do everywhere.

2. Re: Increased Crime?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2013, 12:22
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,376 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Increased Crime?

I would feel safe walking from Fosters to the Westin after dark (with another person) but I would stay away from isolated places. I think you will still be fine to rent a car for just 24 hours. West Bay Road is busy enough during the evenings that I feel comfortable walking there.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,001 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Increased Crime?

It seems like most of the crime in GC is not directed at tourists....although there have been a few incidents over the years.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Increased Crime?

While over the years yes crime has increased, you listed a bunch of things that stretched over a significant time period. If you look at the crime stats in Phoenix or any other location in the US you will find they are higher. I live in a small town north of NYC -- we had a vicious murder a few years ago, my car was stolen out of my driveway, etc., in this sleepy, well thought of area . . . wouldn't cause me to leave on just that account because it is still better than many other places and yes if I listed every occurrence there would be a laundry list and yes the locals are very concerned about it. Sadly what you have suggested is true of just about any place in the world . . . if you want to look at it all from the negative side you are no longer safe in your home even if you live in a basically "crime free" area. I'd pick GC over any major US city or town including Phoenix any day

http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/internet/@inter/@dept/@police/documents/web_content/099718.pdf

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,291 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Increased Crime?

Agreed with Retrip. I'm not sure how your up-to-the-minute app is showing you robberies that took place over a year ago but you have nothing to worry about. If you want to look at the frequency of crime in your home area, I think you would find it similarly (if not more) surprising.

As far as the type of crime goes, there was a streak for a while where a group (or groups) of young adults were holding up banks, gas stations and other stores. While those types of crimes happen almost everywhere, it was a rarity to see them happening on Grand Cayman. Many of those individuals seem to have been apprehended and so the frequency of those events seems to have died down. Regardless, I have heard of very few instances over a span of years where tourists have been targeted for strong-arm type robberies. Unless you're stumbling home drunk in the middle of the night, I'd say you have nothing to worry about in the Seven Mile Beach area.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,192 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Increased Crime?

I think that it's tempting to read the news reports and think that there must be a large issue. Another way to look at it is that the crime rate is so low on the islands that such break-ins make the front page!

Definitely advise to look at published crime rates based on areas with which you are familiar and do the comparisons that way.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,921 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Increased Crime?

Unfortunately crime can happen anytime, anywhere. We live in a area where most of the crime is pretty petty (car and house break-ins, shoplifting . etc.) but the neighboring community was recently rocked by a quadruple homicide (drug deal gone bad) . Everyone is still in shock but it won't change the way I conduct my daily life.

As others have said, these incidents seem to have occurred over an extended period of time. Just use common sense about where you go, make sure you are not alone, don't flash a lot of cash around, and leave the flashy jewelry home!. Always amazes me how some people show up even at the beach loaded down with jewelry. This is just a magnet for people looking to mug you.

Edited: 24 September 2013, 16:29
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,905 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Increased Crime?

I also would not be too concerned; especially if staying in vicinity of Westin. We always stay in central area of SMB and while many years ago felt perfectly safe walking the beach at night to places like Royal Palms, we no longer do that. Otherwise simply paying heed to the same things you do at home works well when traveling to a place like Grand Cayman. "Random" acts of violence targeting visitors are very rare there.

There are areas not far from where we live where I no longer shop due to the recent increase in crime as well as basic decrease in feeling comfortable frequenting.

10. Re: Increased Crime?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 September 2013, 03:35