We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused - Turks (Beaches resort) or Cayman (Westin?)

Toronto
Level Contributor
93 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Confused - Turks (Beaches resort) or Cayman (Westin?)

Hello!

I'm royally confused...I thought I had made up my mind to travel to the Beaches resort with my toddler for our December vacation. My hubby isn't 'feeling' it (we've been to Sandals - St. Lucia and Bahams...) because of our previous stays with the chain. This trip is strictly a family trip and if the toddler is busy and having fun - so are the parents! I think she will love the Sesame theme and water park at Turks but I'm intrigued by the Grand Cayman island as well. Hubby even suggested the Cayman. Not sure if anybody as been to both and just wanted to have some input. We have been to Turks (pre-Baby) and stayed at the Gansevoort - definitely not a place for kids. We won't be returning to Gansevoort (too swanky for the wee ones). I've already checked flights between the two islands but there are no direct flights so we will only be able to do one.

Suggestions?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,128 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused - Turks (Beaches resort) or Cayman (Westin?)

I'm not sure what you're asking. The other resorts you mentioned sound like AI and the kids themed water parks sounds like something you're excited about. If these are things you're interested in then I'm not sure if Grand Cayman is the right place for you.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused - Turks (Beaches resort) or Cayman (Westin?)

Our family traveled to Beaches in Turks in 2012 and we absolutely loved it. I had never been to an all inclusive prior because it just wasn't our thing. Let me tell you Beaches does it right. From the food to the amenities it was all just a wonderful family experience. We too had the same dilemma. Back to Beaches next summer or to Grand Cayman. We are choosing GC because we want to take our kids to a different island to experience the island feel. To me Beaches is the destination, not the island itself because you don't need to leave the resort. Hubby and I had been to GC 23 yrs ago so we are looking forward to going back because we loved it when we were there. Don't think you could go wrong with either choice. Good luck.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,569 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused - Turks (Beaches resort) or Cayman (Westin?)

Have to agree with smushie. In addition they are two different countries with different histories, cultures, economies, etc. It is like saying you want to go to Europe and cannot make up your mind between Sweden or Spain, etc. If you are looking for staying at the resort the whole time and having organized outings sounds like Turks is for you, if you want to do your own things, go out to different restaurants and enjoy an island that is totally family friendly GC is the place to go! Your little one will be happy with sand toys on the beach so it is really about what you and your other half want!

Toronto
Level Contributor
93 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused - Turks (Beaches resort) or Cayman (Westin?)

Gansevoort is definitely not all inclusive.

I wanted to hear from someone who has travelled with a toddler and the type of activities that are provided at cayman Island. I'm not asking about 'all inclusive' meal plans. Beaches at Turks is still going to cost $700-$900 per night for a mediocre room and crappy food (it's only on the list because of the experience). Turks actually has phenomenal cuisine (off the resort of course). I want to keep my option open to the caymen island as well. The more I read, the more intrigued I get. I just don't want to feel like I deprived my lil one from being tucked in by Elmo- haha!

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,347 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused - Turks (Beaches resort) or Cayman (Westin?)

Agree with Smushie - are you looking for an AI experience? Were there specific places on Grand Cayman that you saw that caught your eye?

Maybe if you could give us more of an idea of what exactly you are looking for out of your vacation experience we can give you some better advice.

Toronto
Level Contributor
93 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused - Turks (Beaches resort) or Cayman (Westin?)

I'm looking more for the all-inclusive activities. I did check out the Ritz but it looks like my toddler is too young for most of the kids activities. Then I read good reviews on Westin.

We did Maui last December at Fairmont and it was incredible. They arranged for play pen on the beach, by the pool and toys for the room (even an exersaucer)...they had a toddler pool too. I just can't do the airplane trip from Toronto again. It was tortuous for her. Cayman looks great because its only 4 hours away!!

I'm thinking that caymen is good for us but Beaches resort is good for lil ones.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,569 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused - Turks (Beaches resort) or Cayman (Westin?)

I have never been to an AI or themed resort (except 2 trips to Disney) but we have travelled extensively since my kids were born (first transatlantic at 4 months old ironically for both of them) and at least 2 trips a year to the Carib. My kids were happy as little ones on the beach -- even when we went to kid "themed" outings at various destinations, they wanted to get back to the beach. When they were old enough for kids camp they enjoyed meeting new friends and sharing experiences. Most of the "kids camps" were for kids older than toddlers who were (a) potty trained, (b) were able to take part in arts and crafts and other activities geared to kids up to about the age of 10 and go on some outings, and (c) were more than able to select meals and feed themselves. Only you know your child. Does she need to be constantly entertained by outside stimuli or is she the type who can be amused without organized activities? Are you the kind of parents who feel comfortable letting your little one dance over the little waves and feel the sand between their toes or will you feel disappointed if Elmo or Big Bird isn't in evidence? We couldn't have cared less about cartoon characters on holiday and our kids seemed to have done well enough, but I can't speak for other kids or parents. It sounds as though you would like those things, your husband is not so into it. The one member of the family who will have a great time either way is the little one as long as mom and dad are in their comfort zone. Your question is very subjective and general and honestly what works for one family unit may not for another. If you cannot make up your mind, draw straws and do the "other" type of holiday next time and then you will know what works best for you.

Edited: 24 September 2013, 20:35
Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,669 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confused - Turks (Beaches resort) or Cayman (Westin?)

As others have said, in GC.you aren't going to find the planned activities that Beaches provides. As you have discovered, your child is a bit young for many of the activities The Ritz or Westin might provide as well as anything that might be offered off-site. If having things for your toddler to do is your primary concern, along with getting some time to yourself while your toddler is entertained, then you are better sticking to TCI. Save GC for a trip with just you and hubby or when your child is older and you no longer need your child to be tucked in by Elmo.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,128 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confused - Turks (Beaches resort) or Cayman (Westin?)

AKC wrote: "I'm looking more for the all-inclusive activities."

Smushie wrote: "If these are things you're interested in then I'm not sure if Grand Cayman is the right place for you."

The title of your post says you're trying to decide between an AI (beaches) versus Westin (not AI). If AI is what you're looking for then (again) I'd advise against Grand Cayman.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,914 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Confused - Turks (Beaches resort) or Cayman (Westin?)

I have never seen Elmo in Grand Cayman.