We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Cayman, what area should we stay?

Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Cayman, what area should we stay?

Okay, believe it or not, the only time I was in Grand Cayman (1972), they were pouring the footers for the first big hotel, the Holiday Inn (I think). I want to return there in January with my wife and boys (21 and 19). I'm shocked to see the different areas. Back in 1972, it was 7 mile beach, or not much else. What area should we stay? What do we like - gin and tonics, reading, sun, quiet, good food, beach snorkeling, and gin and tonic. My wife is leaning towards the Marriott. Thanks!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,322 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Cayman, what area should we stay?

With the two boys I would look at a condo along the SMB stretch. There are lots to choose from, the beach will be quieter, you will have much much more room, washer/dryer for wet bathing suits, kitchen for snacks and your own area to sit out for a nice G&T whenever the urge hits!! I would suggest that northern to central section so if the boys want to go out they don't have to worry about taxis which aren't that easy to get a night!

Start looking at these sites caymanvacations.com, caydirect.com, cicondos.com, etc. See if any thing appeals to you and come back with questions.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,832 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Cayman, what area should we stay?

Although the Seven Mile Beach area will look nothing like it did in 1972, it is still the main tourist area. Many people prefer the East End, North Side/Rum Point areas because they those areas are less developed and quaint but with two young men in your group, I would still recommend Seven Mile Beach if they want to be out and about at night. I agree that a condo ( there are many of them now ) would be better for a family of four than any of the hotels.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,187 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Cayman, what area should we stay?

I totally agree with Retrip and kiddos that SMB central or northern area condo is your best option.

While the island is a lot more developed and SMB busier than it was "way back when" you will find the beachfronts at condos spacious and for the most part quiet.

Marriott beach is tiny and extremely congested. Westin and Ritz Carlton (on site of former Holiday Inn) beachfronts, as you might expect of hotels that cater to hundreds of overnight guests, much more populated than any condo.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,733 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Cayman, what area should we stay?

Agreed w/ others. A condo in the central or northern SMB area would work best based on your description.

New Hope...
Level Contributor
723 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Cayman, what area should we stay?

I agree with above.The central and north part of SMB would be the best for you. With a condo you get a less crowded beach and a larger living space. Also you will able to mix your own gin and tonic, saving a lot of money. I would suggest bringing a bottle of tonic syrup like TomR's or John's Premium to mix with a good gin and your G&Ts will be better than most hotel bars.

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Cayman, what area should we stay?

The northern end of SMB is less crowded, but you would need to drive to get to restaurants, bars and water ops - not so if you stay in the central or southern end. "Development" generally increases the farther south you go on that beach.

For a map view of condos, restaurants, etc you can either look at the Cayman Good Taste map:

www.caymangoodtaste.com/interactive_map.asp…

Or a Google map of the island:

https://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&oe=UTF-8&q=grand+cayman+map&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x8f258987067b8479:0xa9a85a0bc83a1db9,Grand+Cayman&gl=us&ei=CCRHUuT-N8fh2wWhq4CICA&ved=0CCsQ8gEwAA

Edited: 28 September 2013, 19:48
Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Cayman, what area should we stay?

Excellent. Thanks for all your replies. It's nice to see consistency in your opinions!

8. Re: Grand Cayman, what area should we stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman