We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private Tour vs. Group Tour for Stingrays etc.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Private Tour vs. Group Tour for Stingrays etc.

I'm traveling with a group of 6 in January (my in-laws are in their 70's, and the rest of us are in our 30's). I was thinking of doing a private boat because there is more flexibility. Additionally, my in-laws don't really snorkel (so will be waiting on the boat while the rest of the group goes), and even though they can walk around in the stingray sandbar, they may not want to be that close to the stingrays, so I thought we could spend less time in those places, and may be a little more time at Rum Point or Starfish beach. However, the cost of doing a private tour is obviously a lot more, and we would also want a comfortable boat with shade. Do people think that a private boat is worth it? Or are there group tours that would be suitable for us?

Acquarius Sea Tours
Boat Tours, Private Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Six Senses Cayman Adventures
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Water Sports, Private Tours
Stingray Sailing
Private Tours, Boat Tours
George's Watersports
Scuba & Snorkeling, Private Tours, Boat Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,091 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private Tour vs. Group Tour for Stingrays etc.

I have done paid private charters twice (and get to go on a friend's boat often). I have also done the trip with groups like Red Sail (to the dive site) not the Sandbar, Capt. Marvin, and even met a big group of 12 friends coming on a cruise ship and went with my friends on Moby Dick (biggest group I've ever been with). All the experiences were good but there is no doubt that the private trips were way better in every possible aspect. Ironically I just pulled out this card this morning for a guy that works with my other half who was looking for a recommendation. You might try them, there is a minimum of hours, but you can lengthen or shorter once you hit that point that really affects the overall cost. They were there and leaving before other boats arrived, made other stops and brought our group to Kaibo for lunch. They were awesome. Anyway it never hurts to compare the cost they offer with what it would be for your family on a group tour. Charter Cayman, 345 923 4266 or 345 917 7720. info@chartercayman.com, www.chartercayman.com. I am a big fan of calling directly and leaving a message however I will say they were pretty prompt with e-mailing me back . . . I just have found that in general a few pennies for a phone call to any island seems to be more efficient that e-mailing. Good luck and hope you all have a wonderful time!!!

Edited: 21 November 2013, 13:36
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Private Tour vs. Group Tour for Stingrays etc.

We've chartered a boat with 'Double Trouble' quite a few times. They are two brothers hence the name. I don't have an email but they are on Facebook and the number is (345)916-1643.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,309 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private Tour vs. Group Tour for Stingrays etc.

Whether or not something is worth it is entirely subjective. That said, you've got competing interests here. You want a larger boat with shade (and perhaps a bathroom) to keep your older family members happy but you are also worried about price for a small group. If really all you're talking about is spending a few minutes less time at some places and a few minutes more at other, that seems like a whole lot of effort (and a whole lot more money) to perhaps wind up with a less pleasant experience for the people you're trying to be considerate of. To me, that's not worth it. My advice would be to find a larger boat for the trip, one that has shade and a bathroom, and then take a half-day tour.

4. Re: Private Tour vs. Group Tour for Stingrays etc.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 05:18