We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rum Point to George Town Bus Trip Report

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Rum Point to George Town Bus Trip Report

Today I finally had time (and a reason) to try the Bus 8 trip from the Sea Lodges (near Rum Point) into George Town.

I called the number (926-8814) at the George Town Dispatch and said I wanted to be picked up at the Sea Lodges near Rum Point. He first said, “The bus should be leaving soon” but when I asked how long he said “25 minutes.” This was at 8:45.

I waited inside for about 20 minutes and then sat out in the shade by the road and read. The bus came by 70 minutes after my call (I am thinking now he meant the bus would be leaving George Town in 25 minutes). The driver saw me, turned around and then picked me up.

There are 4 others in the bus that held 13 (plus driver). We made at least 8 stops on the way to George Town, with folks getting both on and off. From Bodden Town on, the bus was generally full. Despite all the stops, we arrived at the bus depot (right beside the public library) 52 minutes later.

I did some research in the library and then had lunch on Paperman’s deck (fun to watch all the cruisers from above). I got back to the bus depot around 12:45. Bus 8 arrived about 10 minutes later and we left for NS around 1:30. The depot was shaded and had benches to sit on. There were a lot less passengers (on and off) during the return trip.

Apparently any bus that heads to North Side (including the ones that also go to East End) have to wait their turn to leave (at about 15 minute intervals). I had the same driver and I believe he told me that he is the only one doing Route #8 (the North Side only route that can come to Rum Point for pick-ups).

The trip cost $8CI each way. I found it a very relaxing way to get into George Town when I was not in a hurry. Glad I had a book with me, though :)

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,698 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rum Point to George Town Bus Trip Report

That is great info! I know we have speculated on here about how that works, so that's hopefully information that others can use.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,378 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rum Point to George Town Bus Trip Report

So you wait until I'm home to go on this adventure? Just kidding. Have a great rest of your vacation.

3. Re: Rum Point to George Town Bus Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 November 2013, 02:41
Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rum Point to George Town Bus Trip Report

I got some advice last night from several folks who work at Over the Edge regarding the #8 bus:

After they contact the Bus Depot (number listed above) and get an estimated time for pick-up, they call the driver (Leroy) when he is in transit to get a closer ETA. PM me if you want his number – I will not post it here without asking him first.

NOTE: calling the Depot is required so don't try to skip this step.

None
Level Contributor
50 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rum Point to George Town Bus Trip Report

Hi all,

Just wondering if the number (926-8814) is still working? I just called it couple of minutes ago but no answer, have tried twice so far. Does anyone know what time is the final ride from Rum Point going back to GT? Thanks all.

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rum Point to George Town Bus Trip Report

When I was at the Bus Depot, there was on man inside a small hut that directed the buses (and answered the phone calls). He could have been out of the stand for some reason when you called. I was not there on a Saturday, but I have seen two Bus #8's today (one blue and one grey and black) when I was driving back and forth from the Rum Point area to the Savannah area.

In all honesty I do not know if there is an actual "bus schedule" - you would have to ask the dispatcher that question to find out when the last bus goes out from George Town. To be clear, Bus #8 (North Side) always stops at the Hutland and then turns around UNLESS someone calls the dispatcher and tells the driver (who is leaving GT or is in route) to go out to Rum Point for a pick up.

And that is the telephone number I used a week ago.

Edited: 30 November 2013, 18:47
None
Level Contributor
50 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rum Point to George Town Bus Trip Report

Hi MidwestAnnie,

Thanks for your reply. I could finally speak to the man on the phone and he said he hasnt seen bus no.8 since 8.30 in the morning today... Where did you see the buses?

Don't think the ride by bus to Rum Point is any helpful. We're planning to stay in Rum Point till about 11ish PM/midnight and the bus must have stopped running then.

Taxi ride costs 70 USD each way from BT. I think that's a bit too much but in Cayman, it's normal I guess.

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rum Point to George Town Bus Trip Report

From my perspective, the #8 bus may [only] be good for traveling from Rum Point to GT and back - when the rider is not on a schedule. I actually enjoyed the trip (since I have been doing all the driving) - meeting folks and getting to look at houses/etc. on the trip into town.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,090 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rum Point to George Town Bus Trip Report

" Taxi ride costs 70 USD each way from BT. I think that's a bit too much but in Cayman, it's normal I guess."

. Taxi fares are set from point A to point B by the government, the driver does not just " make up " a fare based on the economy in Cayman. Also, considering the cost of gas and the fares the driver will lose during the long drive to / from Rum Point just for you, it seems like fair compensation to me. The bus system sounds impractical for the casual visitor, rent a car for the day and enjoy the drive out to Rum Point.

None
Level Contributor
50 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rum Point to George Town Bus Trip Report

@ MidwestAnnie: Thanks for the info.

@kiddos: it seems renting a car will be the best option at the moment so seriously considering that.