We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day bareboat sail charter?

Houston
Level Contributor
39 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Day bareboat sail charter?

We just booked our trip to visit for the third time (October 2014). One thing we like to do while visiting the islands is to do a bareboat sailboat charter for a day. On our first two trips we didn't have time to do this, but believe we will this time.

Does anyone know of a place to charter a sailboat for one day?

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,442 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day bareboat sail charter?

These people may be able to help you out

http://www.caymanislandsboatrentals.com/

In general unlike other locations like BVI this is not something all that popular in GC. The reef system makes navigation extremely difficult and if you search you will find many discussions from experienced boaters detailing why boat rental in GC is not necessarily a good idea.

Houston
Level Contributor
39 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day bareboat sail charter?

Retrip, Thank you for the reply! Yes, one definitely needs to be careful around GC!

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day bareboat sail charter?

I don't know of any bareboat sail charters, I'm afraid. The bareboats I have seen weren't sail, and the sail charters are with a crew ( I assume you're looking for something a bit larger than a Sunfish, which is what caymanislandsboatrentals.com has on offer ;) )

Edited: 12 December 2013, 14:58
Houston
Level Contributor
39 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day bareboat sail charter?

Yes, a bit larger than a sunfish :)

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,442 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day bareboat sail charter?

They are one of the few ops that rent out boats and if they don't have what you want they should be able to tell you who does or at least what is available where. We have found that everyone from dive ops to fishing ops, to Stingray City charters, are very nice about helping guests find what suits their needs best even when it is not necessarily themselves.

6. Re: Day bareboat sail charter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 23:05
Edited: 16 December 2013, 23:05
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,947 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day bareboat sail charter?

"Recently, the only actual residents/frequent boaters have advised the same. The warnings about the treacherous waters of the North Sound have basically been second hand or pure conjecture."

I wholeheartedly disagree and I've been in and around boats in Grand Cayman almost my entire life.

compasscayman.com/caycompass/…

compasscayman.com/caycompass/…

Just from a quick search.

It's not the vast majority that boat incident free. It's the small percent that destroy the reef system we all enjoy and/or injure or kill themselves in the process.

Edited: 13 December 2013, 02:31
Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,511 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day bareboat sail charter?

“The captain of the vessel decided to stop in the Cayman due to an approaching Nor’easter,” said Royal Cayman Islands Police Service Chief Inspector Raymond Christian."

Let's head out into a Nor'easter and try to make it through the cut in the reef, the waters is not that rough...Lack of common sense, maybe?

"It was not immediately clear what occurred, but witnesses said the man appeared to be injured on board a boat in the waters off North Side."

I get hurt on board my boat and this is supposed to represent the dangers of the uncharted waters of the North Sound?

Not really sure how this is even germane to the topic.

I could list the numerous daily car accidents on the island and tell folks they should leave the driving to professional taxi and bus drivers, since it is so dangerous to drive the roads if you are not familiar with them.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,442 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day bareboat sail charter?

Many people drive everyday and there are no "hidden" hazards under the road and weather unless there is a storm or ice is not a factor. I only get to go boating on our boat on weekends from about April through October and then she gets put away for the winter. That said I started boating when I was about 12 (small Boston Whaler) and have done everything from a live aboard (no cruise ships), sunfish, kayak, fishing charters, pole boats and in GC a dive boat 2x a day for many years and now as 60 approaches only once a day. Two of our best friends on the island are working boat captains and we have spent many a lovely day exploring in their boats. I have been on boats in the GBR, the UK, US, BVI and the only two places that I would not feel comfortable just taking a boat out without local knowledge so far is the waters around Islamorada and the North Sound. I spend at least part of most of my days in GC on a boat. While that some may think say that my concerns for navigating the reefs etc is conjecture and second hard, based on my own personal experience, I respectfully disagree. I also would not compare piloting a boat to driving a car any more than I would say that someone who can pilot a boat can pilot a plane -- apples and oranges.

Edited: 17 December 2013, 13:58
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,947 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day bareboat sail charter?

Thanks Retrip, I think that puts the "pure conjecture" comment to rest.

Further, cars go on roads so there are (usually) obvious places to go and not go which is totally unlike navigating in a boat. Beyond that, conjecture ends when it's a regular occurrence to observe personal watercraft using the 200 yard buoys as a slalom course, playing chicken with dive boats, using moored boats as obstacle courses and flagrantly violating wake regulations. Beyond the occasional foundeering of watercraft (and the associated environmental destruction resulting from gas and oil spills), conjecture also ends when I see small private crafts doing things like dragging anchors across shoals, motoring full speed through marked dive sites, and failing to secure beer cans and other waste so that they blow off the backs of boats like confetti.

Thankfully TA is a place for people to share opinions and (usually) people realize that their personal opinion and experiences are just their opinions and not facts to be presented with the purpose of discrediting the opinions of others.