We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant for Birthday

Boston
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Topic
Restaurant for Birthday

My husband and I are going to be in GC January 18-25 and we will be celebrating his birthday - we are early 30s. We are staying at the Ritz and will not have a car. Up to a 30 minute walk is fine and/or taking taxis but obviously don't want to spend $100 just to get to/from dinner. As of right now we are booked at Blue for the night of his birthday.

I am having a hard time with restaurant selections because it seems like there are so many good restaurants and each thread I read on the subject just seems to throw more good ones in there! We love eating outside and especially with a water view.

We currently have reservations at the following places. Anything you would remove / any must sees that I am missing?

Any recommendations for live music outside where we can have drinks and/or dinner?

Thanks in advance!!

Cracked Conch - Sun

Osetra Bay - Mon

Blue - Tue

Aqua - Wed

Calypso Grill - Thur

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,576 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant for Birthday

I am not a fan of Osetra Bay (too fussy and more about show) and think that Calypso Grille has become tired. I would go to Morgan's Harbour over CG in a heartbeat! There are some wonderful places in Camana Bay . . . sitting outside at Ortanique is wonderful. I would also give Luca a big big thumbs up. I haven't been to Cracked Conch for many years, but I eat at the outside bar Macabuca there often. Although it is not outside the food at Michael's Genuine is wonderful. The Grand Old House is a little further away but worth a trip. I absolutely positively love Blue, great place for the birthday dinner -- the food and service is simply awesome!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant for Birthday

Blue is by far the best restaurant on GC and would compete with many of the best restaurants in NY, Chicago, San Francisco, Miami etc.

B.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,443 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant for Birthday

If not Blue, Grand Old House or Luca. I love Luca, but for special occasion that has "special" GC setting, unique long history, excellent menu & food, GOH would be my choice.

Boston
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant for Birthday

Thank you for the feedback. Looks like we will have to re-think a couple of our selections but I think I will keep Blue for the birthday dinner.

I am going to look into Grand Old House for sure. How far of a taxi ride would it be?

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,443 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant for Birthday

GOH is just a few minutes drive south of GT, so prob about 10-15 minute ride, non rush hours, from Ritz

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,354 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant for Birthday

Blue is really good. I went there many years ago and have sent friends there since then. They thought it was really good, but not blown away, and they are foodies like us.

Grand Old House provides some real Cayman style in a great location - I would do that with a taxi ride for a special dinner, I think. And it's outside with a water view.

I liked Osetra Bay, but do recognise it's not for everyone - it's one of those upscale "dining experiences" with all the funkiness that can go along with that. Some find it too pretentious.

Cracked Conch is good, but I wouldn't put it on par with the others that you have picked. I would put Michael's Genuine or Ortanique ahead of it. Both are in Camana Bay and not far from the Ritz-Carlton.

I would drop Calypso Grill as well. It used to be great, but in my opinion it has been overtaken by other places.

You might also want to take a look at Blue Cilantro. Had some very nice dining experiences there. No water or outside seating, but really nice food.

If you want waterfront and outdoors, take a look at the menu for Tiki Beach. It can be busy during the day with the cruise ships, but their evening ambiance for dinner is really, really nice. Had a couple of really nice meals there with friends this past summer, and a few said that it was their best meal while on the island. Again, that would be a very short taxi ride from the Ritz.

Sorry to make this more complicated, but you really are spoiled for choice on this island. The Cayman Good Taste website is your friend, since it has menus, and maps, so you can find what suits your tastes.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,148 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant for Birthday

Lots of great suggestions. GOH might be a good place for a special dinner and the rest of your list is making me hungry as I type. I also would not suggest Cracked Conch for dinner. Overpriced and underwhelming compared to some of the other places on your list.

GC
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
679 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant for Birthday

Saturday you could do one of the Cayman Cookout dinners at Caymana Bay

caymanislands.ky/eventsoffers/…events.aspx

Boston
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant for Birthday

Thank you to all of you for your replies.

I'm going to drop cracked conch and calypso grill. I think we will still give Osetra Bay a try.

GOH looks amazing! Im going tomadd that. Do we need reservations for places like Tiki Beach and Ortanique? Both look good. Camana Bay looks like a fun place to walk to and just try some places out so if we don't need reservations maybe we can just wing it a bit.

I have looked into the cayman cookout but was hesitant to buy tickets because we are flying in that day and if delayed I would hate to have pre-paid and miss it.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,576 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant for Birthday

You don't need reservations for Tiki Beach. If you want to sit outside at Ortanique (well worth it) you should make reservations. If you are on the island for a Sunday brunch go to Luca if you can't fit it in for a dinner. You won't be disappointed.

Edited: 12 January 2014, 00:13