We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better beach for kids: Kaibo vs Coral Bay Village

Dallas
5 posts
Save Topic
Better beach for kids: Kaibo vs Coral Bay Village

We're planning to rent a condo for our family of 5 (kids ages 9, 4, and 2) and have narrowed our search to a condo at Kaibo and one at Coral Bay Village (Spotts Beach). I would love to hear someone's opinion about the different areas and especially about the quality of the beaches. We won't be majoring on snorkeling, mainly just playing in the sand, so we don't want to end up somewhere with a rocky water entrance. Also, we do plan to rent a car, so distance from airport isn't a huge factor for us. We've been to GC twice, but never rented a condo before, so any and all advice is welcome!

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,863 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better beach for kids: Kaibo vs Coral Bay Village

The beach itself at Spotts is fine but you have to go through some turtle grass to get to a soft, swimming area. Kaibo is at a marina and I would not swim there. If you are looking for a condo with a great beach and swimming area but also a lower nightly rate, look at the condos in northern Seven Mile Beach. The only one in that area with varying water entry conditions is Discovery Point but the beach itself is fine. Christopher Columbus might be a nice choice for your family. They have a nice, beachfront kiddie pool, too, as well as a full sized one for older children and adults.

Edited: 19 January 2014, 23:49
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,446 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better beach for kids: Kaibo vs Coral Bay Village

Agree with kiddos, the best beach area is along SMB especially for little ones.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,517 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better beach for kids: Kaibo vs Coral Bay Village

If you don't mind driving to get anywhere like restaurants both would be fine, Kaibo has two (one next door, one a mile away) and Coral Bay has nothing right nearby, but is close to both Savannah and Grand Harbour that have full shopping centers and plenty of casual, family friendly restaurants.

The beach at Spotts is much nicer than right off Kaibo and would be my pick for kids since is is sandier and you can see plenty of sea life from shore without snorkeling.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,319 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Better beach for kids: Kaibo vs Coral Bay Village

I whole heartedly agree with suggestion you chose a northern SMB condo over Kaibo or Coral Bay.

Dallas
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Better beach for kids: Kaibo vs Coral Bay Village

Thank you all for your input...especially glad you mentioned Kaibo being on a marina - I didn't know that! I think we'll end up going with the Spotts beach condo based on price. Would love to find something on the north end of SMB, but from what I'm finding online, I won't be able to beat the $199/night price tag of the Spotts beach condo.

Thanks again!

Edited: 20 January 2014, 00:59
Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,863 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Better beach for kids: Kaibo vs Coral Bay Village

Generally, you get what you pay for. Really, even if price is an issue, don't base your decision solely on a nightly rate. You can make concessions on expenses in other areas and have a more ideal location for your family.

Florham Park, New...
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Better beach for kids: Kaibo vs Coral Bay Village

I would highly recommend the Kaibo condo. Kaibo is a mere half mile or so from rum point, which in my opinion, is one of the best beaches for families, especially with kids your ages. i have two year old and a five year old and the two year old will be able to navigate the water at rum point, but likely not on 7mb. yes as testudo pointed out you most certainly will need a car, but you'll also likely need one at the northern 7mb locations. yes kaibo is a quasi-marina area, but rum point, one of the best family friendly beach areas in cayman is a mere 1/2 mile or so away. frankly given the ages of your kids i think you'll be better suited for rum point. yes there are less restaurants on that side of the island, you'd be faced with a similar situation with the coral bay condo, but of course you'd be closer to the georgetown and 7mb areas. i strongly suggest you give the kaibo condo a second thought. as a matter of disclosure, i own on the island, at the turtle nest inn, and the only beach my family and i visit while on the island is rum point. we do head to 7mb area, but solely to go to camana bay with the kids or our favorite breakfast place in the 7mb area. i recommend you give the kaibo condo a second thought. the last time we were on the island about during the first week of december, we went one time to 7mb, there was a large drop off, and the kids, especially young ones, are simply unable to go far into the water as is the case with rum point.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,620 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Better beach for kids: Kaibo vs Coral Bay Village

You didn't say when you're planning your vacation. The $199/night budget may be doable at other locations if you're not traveling during high season. Also is that inclusive of all taxes and fees?

Dallas
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Better beach for kids: Kaibo vs Coral Bay Village

We're looking at just under $1500 for the week inclusive of all taxes and cleaning fees. I've done countless searches for other options at this price range and found quite a few in the Kaibo/Kai area and the one down in the Spotts area. We're traveling June11-18th of this year. I really am satisfied with the quality of the Spotts area condo and all reviews I found (even on non-sponsored sites) were positive. It's not a luxury condo by any means, but it is plenty big, clean, and right on the beach. We don't plan on spending much time inside!

Thanks again for all the thoughtful responses.

Florham Park, New...
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Better beach for kids: Kaibo vs Coral Bay Village

Just so you know, there are not going to be facilities in the spots area, its in the center of the island, close to my condo and about 5-10 minutes closer to Georgetown and 7mb. if your looking to be left alone this would be a great spot. not sure of the quality of the beach there, though you will be on the ocean. your going to end up going to either rum point, colliers, or 7mb with your kids. all spots will be about 20-25 minute drive by car. there will be few tourists in the area as it is mostly residential.