We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Caymanian Resort or The Reef Resort

maryland
Level Contributor
162 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Caymanian Resort or The Reef Resort

Hello all,

This will be our first time traveling to Grand Cayman Island trying to decide which of the two resorts to choose both look nice. Grand Caymanian Resort or The Reef Resort through Interval International can anyone please give me any insight on this resort. We are a couple in our 40's trying not to be bored. We will be renting a car. Is there parking at the resort if so is it a fee?

Which is closer to town and night life? Which resort has more entertainment on-site?

Thanks Pokeno

maryland
Level Contributor
162 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Grand Caymanian Resort or The Reef Resort

Hi maryk2936009

Do you rent the chairs on 7MB?

Frankfort, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Grand Caymanian Resort or The Reef Resort

You can rent chairs @ Calicao Jacks and Tiki Bar. I think it might be around 15.00 US. I think I have only rented chairs once. At Jacks, they have picnic tables you can sit at that is free. Just purchase something and I don't even remember them being that strict about that.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,332 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Grand Caymanian Resort or The Reef Resort

pokeno, those are places where the day visitors congregate (that's how they stay in business). Just look at the port schedule to see how many ships (and how big are in) or go in the afternoon when the cruise visitors have to be heading back to port or you will see first hand what people mean when they say SMB is crowded. If you go looking for them, you will find the crowds, they are at the places that rent chairs and cater to them!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,744 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Grand Caymanian Resort or The Reef Resort

If you avoid the SMB locations maryk suggested, it's unlikely that you will ever even notice that there are cruise ships in port. The Grand Caymanian resort likely has chairs to loan guests or for $15 you can buy a beach chair at Cost-U-Less and use it for the entire vacation.

Frankfort, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Grand Caymanian Resort or The Reef Resort

I only go to those places when the ships aren't in. I usually stay @ the beach @ the Holiday as it is very quiet.But if you do want to experience 7 Mile, as everyone else has advised, go when the cruise ships aren't in. Same with shopping in Georgetown. All the resorts have the cruise ship schedules. To my knowledge, the HI does not have chairs to rent to take to 7 Mile beach.Also, if you want to take a ride to East End, go to Morritts Tortuga Club. Beautiful beach, a couple of pools you can hang out at, very quiet there and nobody cares whether you are staying there. Also, usually if the water is rough or it is raining on 7MB, you can head over to East End or Kaibo, which is across from Rum Point. The weather on one side of the island can be different then the other side sometimes. Kaibo is very nice and relaxing. Not very busy during the day, and there is a restaurant there open from lunch on.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,523 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Grand Caymanian Resort or The Reef Resort

Sorry, but I do not think anyone should be encouraged to go to a resort that they are NOT staying at and use the facilities. The people who own at Morritt's pay hefty maintenance fees which help cover those chairs and pools that people use. Why should these be open to use by others?

There are public beaches in other sections of the island that people can travel to and use. Granted, most will not have facilities and chairs but if you want to have that, go to places like Rum Point and the other places previously mentioned. You just have to decide what to compromise on - facilities or avoiding the crowds when cruise ships are in. As someone suggested, you can buy an inexpensive beach chair that over the course of the week will likely cost you less than renting everyday.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Grand Caymanian Resort or The Reef Resort

All beaches on the Cayman Islands are public by law - you are most definitely allowed to be there. Using any of the facilities (including chairs, loungers, umbrellas, etc,) is not allowed without the express permission of the facility.

There are so many ways to do this without offending anyone, or being selfish, so why would anybody? Some of the condos have their own beach chairs and beach umbrellas that you can take with you during your stay. You're probably not going to get that on the resort, but as others have said, buying one or two is going to be cheaper than renting.

You won't find the AI-style resorts much on Grand Cayman, and there is a good reason for that - the island is so very safe and it's so easy to get around that there is no reason to be hidden behind the fence of a resort compound, like in some other Caribbean destinations. It really is more like being at home, in that sense. You say you will have a car - definitely find out the various things to do on the island (there have been a few post on here recently about night life close to Seven Mile Beach) - find whatever grabs your fancy, or ask more specific questions on here - the Destination Experts here have a wide range of backgrounds and tastes, and can probably help find you plenty of things to do so you will stand no chance of being bored....

Frankfort, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Grand Caymanian Resort or The Reef Resort

I know all about the maintenance fees there. Are you an owner? I have been an owner there for over 20 years.Chances are, in my experience of meeting people, they will purchase something at Mimi's Dock Bar or one of the pool bars. Most of the time, depending on the time of year, there are several open chairs on the beach, especially, by the Reef.I happened upon the club in the early 90's just stopping by there and became an owner. Or if they bring their own chairs,that's a bonus. It gives people a chance to experience the beautiful beach over there, as it is public. How do you think people end up buying there? It is great exposure and I'm sure the sales people don't have a problem with it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Grand Caymanian Resort or The Reef Resort

Agree to disagree. If you, as an owner, see no problem with it then that's fine. However, some owners may have a problem with non-guests using facilities that they pay to upkeep and in such situations their wishes should be respected over those who don't want to interfere. Any policy changes to get increased sales are best left to the representatives of the hotel

As an aside, any hotel which allows the public to use it's pool or other facilities (it would sound worse if I said Gym or breakfast spread for guests) as they see fit is clearly the exception to the rule

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,752 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Grand Caymanian Resort or The Reef Resort

I have to say I take offense to people just breezing in and using the Resort facilities. We have been at the Reef when absolutely all of the beach chairs were taken. Not all by Owners and/or Guests of the Resort. I find it unacceptable when a paying Guest does not have amenity use do to the brash rudeness of others. Kind of like "pool hopping" when we were kids growing up in a Resort Town...not ok. It's one thing if you want to stop by, have lunch and or a drink then take a quick dip in the pool with permission. Even go for a walk and swim on the beach. Quite another to set up camp on the beach where you are not a Guest displacing those who are. We also just had this happen at a pricey resort in Costa Rica. Very disappointing when we got back to the Property planning to have a quiet swim and cocktail..no chairs avail and quite the noisy crowd. They couldn't wait to tell me how they save $$$ by renting a house down the road and just have lunch at the Resort and plan to spend the entire afternoon there in "luxury". We have stayed at both the Grand Caymanian and the Reef. For a first time Visitor I would lean toward the Grand Caymanian. It is closer to the restaurants, shops and nightlife of the Island. Once we had done all that twice we decided we enjoy the quieter East End. A handful of restaurants and lovely beach. We dive and snorkel a lot and even cook in some Evenings. It makes for a very quiet Holiday. We find 7MB and Gerogetown too far away to drive in for dinner, especially as we enjoy a couple of cocktails so you should think of that if choosing the Reef. From GC We did cut across the golf course to get to 7MB a few times. No problem there. Also there is an evening sunset sail to rump point for dinner and back that leaves just down the street from Grand Caymanian.

Edited: 28 January 2014, 20:13
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman