We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report, Jan. 19-29, 2014

Sandy Hook...
Level Contributor
218 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report, Jan. 19-29, 2014

We are two active couples, ages 56-62, second time to Grand Cayman for both. Flew non-stop from JFK on Cayman Airways. LOVE Cayman Airways - two checked bags free and everyone was served a meal! Sandwich with yogurt & fruit on the way down, and a hot meal on the way home. Friendly, helpful staff. Wish I could fly CA everywhere I go!!

Rented an SUV from Marshalls. Stayed at Christopher Columbus Condos in a 3bed/2.5bath penthouse (#29) unit. Comfortable, clean, well appointed, had everything we needed. Beautiful sunsets from the large balcony. Only downside: advertised queen bed was actually a double bed, but couple decided to use it anyway because bath was attached to it. Staff was friendly and helpful. We all would definitely stay here again. Beautiful wide beach, never a problem getting lounge chairs in the shade. Easy entry to great snorkeling right off the property, better snorkeling a short swim (or walk) away at Cemetery Reef. The ladies are avid snorkelers and thoroughly enjoyed having great snorkeling so close by. During our visit we experienced high surf along the West Bay but once the waters calmed were able to snorkel at Turtle Cove.

The men are SCUBA divers and used Living the Dream dive company for four two-tank dives (the ladies joined them to snorkel on the trip to the Kittiwake). Top-notch company with well-equipped boats, fabulous staff. A fifth dive was a shore dive at Cobalt Coast with Divetech to try out the underwater scooters, they had a blast!!

One morning we all took an educational kayak trip through the mangroves with Sea Elements. Danielle shared her love for and knowledge of the ecology of the mangroves during a fun paddle.

We had most breakfasts in the condo except for our first day at Eats Cafe and our last day at Cimboco, but went out for lunch and/or dinner at the following restaurants:

Legandz

Cimboco

Heritage Kitchen

Copper Falls (dinner twice - hands down favorite!!)

Grand Cayman Yacht Club

The Brassarie

Dukes

Yoshi Sushi

Calico Jacks

Pappagallo

Sunset Grill

Calypso Grill

Bottom line, we would (will!) return to Grand Cayman and highly recommend Cayman Airways, Christopher Columbus Condos, Living The Dream dive company and Sea Elements.

Mentioned in this post
Christopher Columbus Condos
Christopher Columbus...
326 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Cobalt Coast Grand Cayman Resort
Cobalt Coast Grand...
572 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Divetech
Divetech
733 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Sea Elements
Sea Elements
276 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Copper Falls Steakhouse
Copper Falls Steakhouse
1,184 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Heritage Kitchen
Heritage Kitchen
660 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Calypso Grill
Calypso Grill
1,725 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Yoshi Sushi
Yoshi Sushi
768 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Eats Cafe
Eats Cafe
1,195 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Cimboco
Cimboco
931 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Calico Jack's Bar & Grill
Calico Jack's Bar & Grill
871 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
West Bay
West Bay
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,373 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report, Jan. 19-29, 2014

Glad to hear such a happy report. We love Cayman Airways and fly them totally out of choice even with the new options at JFK now!!! Hope the weather when you arrived back wasn't too much of a shock . . . I think we all need to be going instead of returning!

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,567 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report, Jan. 19-29, 2014

Thanks very much for taking the time to write this. Great to get different people's experiences and feedback.

Can you talk more about what you liked at Copper Falls? it's not a place I have been yet, and curious as to what made it your favourite of the trip.

I also wish Cayman Airways flew to more places, or that the standards that I have heard so much about were a little more widespread in the industry.

Mentioned in this post
Copper Falls Steakhouse
Copper Falls Steakhouse
1,184 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
New York
Level Contributor
643 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report, Jan. 19-29, 2014

Thank you for your excellent trip report. We ( 5 adults in our family) booked on Cayman Air for our early April trip and looking forward to it. Given your review and that of so many others, I am glad we booked Cayman Air instead of some to the others flying from JFK.

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Sandy Hook...
Level Contributor
218 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report, Jan. 19-29, 2014

Brit ~ We loved Copper Falls Steakhouse for several reasons, the foremost being their food. Steaks and fish are prepared perfectly, melt in your mouth delicious. Both times we visited everyone cleaned their plate, that rarely happens! Sunday & Monday is prime rib night and it was cooked perfectly. All entrees include a martini, mixed drink or beer (wine not included), never seen that before. Service was impeccable. Ambiance is upscale steakhouse; the only negative we all had is that we could have been anywhere, it did not have an "island" feel. Recommend any of the steaks; my friend enjoyed the seafood pasta dish so much she had it both times. You must try Copper Falls during your next visit!

Mentioned in this post
Copper Falls Steakhouse
Copper Falls Steakhouse
1,184 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,567 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report, Jan. 19-29, 2014

jigzmom that really does sound tasty! I will add it to my list! Thanks for the answer!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,087 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report, Jan. 19-29, 2014

Delightful report! We also like Copper Falls. Last time there I veered from steak or fish and had chicken, which I seldom order in restaurants. SO TASTY.

During your next Cayman vacation, be sure to dine at Luca.

Mentioned in this post
Copper Falls Steakhouse
Copper Falls Steakhouse
1,184 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Luca Restaurant
Luca Restaurant
1,682 Reviews
Grand Cayman
White Marsh...
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report, Jan. 19-29, 2014

Nice report. Glad you had a great trip. Last summer I stayed next door at Discovery Point Club and loved it. Did you like Pappagollos? The first time I went there, about 13 years ago, I loved it. Food was delicious. I went there 2 years ago and I wasn't as impressed and quite disappointed. I was contemplating on giving it another try this summer.

Mentioned in this post
Discovery Point Club
Discovery Point Club
530 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
552 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report, Jan. 19-29, 2014

I am glad you had a wonderful trip! Grand Cayman is such a beautiful place to snorkel. Thanks for sharing your trip report!

Edited: 07 February 2014, 23:25
Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Sandy Hook...
Level Contributor
218 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report, Jan. 19-29, 2014

LuckyW ~ Yes, we did like Papagallos, it was my #2 favorite on the above list. My husband and I enjoyed our meal there during our first visit to GC in 2003. This time was very nice too; the food and service are excellent, the ambiance has an island elegance, and we love the area with the parrots.

My #3 on the list is Calypso Grill. It may have taken second place except the night we were there, it was so crowded that the servers could barely get around the tables, and often didn't. I had to crawl over my husband's chair when we left because I couldn't move mine. The food and service was very good but it was much too crowded to be enjoyable.

Mentioned in this post
Calypso Grill
Calypso Grill
1,725 Reviews
Grand Cayman
White Marsh...
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report, Jan. 19-29, 2014

Thanks jigzmom. I'll have to try Papagallos again. Maybe I just went there on a bad night. I, too, like Calypso grill. Next time you're on the island try the restaurant next door to Calypso Grill. It's called Morgan's Harbour. The food is wonderful. My favorite restaurant there. A lot of the DE'S recommended it. I always wanted to try Copper Falls. I might have to add that one to my list as well.

Mentioned in this post
Copper Falls Steakhouse
Copper Falls Steakhouse
1,184 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Calypso Grill
Calypso Grill
1,725 Reviews
Grand Cayman