We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for our trip in May

NC
Level Contributor
573 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for our trip in May

We are headed back to Cayman this May, and this time we are flying in with another couple for 5 nights. Staying at the Discovery Place which will be our first time, as we usually stay at the Marriott but I've heard a lot of good things about DP and while we were there last year we visited it and it was very nice.

My wife and I have been to Cayman 5 times now, and we have already done a lot on the island. For this trip i'd rather not repeat most of what we've done with an exception of Sting Ray City and the Rum Point/Starfish Beach area simply because the other couple have never been and are wanting to go.

Things we've done that would not want to do again are Turtle Farm, Hell, the full Dolphin Swim, Botanic Park, and the day and nighttime Submarine excursion.

What are some idea's of some things we could do that would be really fun for 4 adults in their early 30's?

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for our trip in May

Well, how about Kayaking, especially the bioluminescence tour? Horseback riding is another thing some folks like to do.

What you haven't mentioned is anything like snorkelling or scuba diving. Most of the dive ops will offer a "resort course' where you can take a morning of training and then do a dive with an instructor in the afternoon - if you are ever going to sample diving, then this would be a perfect place to do it! If you don't want that, you could try SNUBA.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for our trip in May

The helicopter trip is awesome. Google the Camana Bay calendar to see if any events are going on while you are here. There are regular food/cooking events etc.

Grand Cayman...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
602 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for our trip in May

Are either of you interested in a bit of history? If so then there are a couple of options:

Go to Pedro St.James, start with the multi-sensory theatre presentation then have one of their guides show you around the main building and grounds - it's a very picturesque spot. Open 7 days.

The "Mission House" in Bodden Town is another interesting historical spot with an engaging guide who explains various artifacts. Closed on weekends though as far as I remember (confirm with the National Trust).

NC
Level Contributor
573 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for our trip in May

Thanks all! Yea the bioluminescence tour looks really cool, so I think that will be a must for us. My wife just said she really liked the idea of Horseback riding, so that'll be something to look into. I didn't mention snorkeling because that's something we always do. I'll be taking them around the island to a few spots to snorkel for sure. We've never went Scuba diving, but that's something we'll plan to do next year as we plan to stay closer to two weeks. I've always wanted to go out to Kittiwake, but can you snorkel it vs. scuba diving? That might be something to look into, as well.

Retrip, i'll mention the Helicopter ride to everyone. We'll certainly be hitting up the Camana Bay area, but I will say I hate we missed Taste of Cayman this year! We usually make it there last few years, but we just couldn't this year. Same thing for the history tours...next year more of my family are coming down, so I plan take a few of us to those places then.

For the time we'll be there in May (5 nights), between the snorkeling, bioluminescence tour, some time at Camana Bay, Stingray city, and possible Helicopter/Horseback riding tour, we should have enough to keep us busy.

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for our trip in May

If you enjoy snorkeling, I would suggest (even if you have done it before) the 3-stop snorkeling excision on Wednesday with Ocean Frontiers (oceanfrontiers.com/snorkel-boat-trips/coral-…). And while you are there, try some of their delicious lion fish tacos at the Eagle Ray Bar Bar and Grill.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for our trip in May

The biolum tour only goes on certain nights…it has to be dark for the best effect. So hope that your trip coincides with low moon nights. It is very interesting. I went this year and was paired with a young women who just couldn't rave enough about it. I have been before so wasn't as excited as she was….but the grandkids liked it.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for our trip in May

Midwest Annie you've sparked my curiosity about Ocean Frontiers. We are going to Stingray city with Capt. Marvin and hitting 2 other snorkel spots. I'm curious how the East End reefs are that Ocean Frontiers goes to. They are reefs that I haven't heard mentioned on these forums. We may have to try them as well.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,805 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas for our trip in May

We really enjoyed a private jet ski 1/2 day with Fat Fish Adventures. Just your group arrives at Stingray City rather than a large group. We explored the mangrove canals, visited stingray city, snorkeled a reef and stopped for refreshments at Kaibo. So far our favorite thing on Cayman. The scuba diving is great. You can get a set of cds before going and get in the "classwork" with PADI online. Then just do your actual in the water skills once on GC. That way you aren't reading a book and studying on Holiday!

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ideas for our trip in May

Janice T:

I really enjoyed snorkeling at the barrier reef and Coral Gardens when I did a stingray sandbar trip out of Rum Point, but IMO too much time was spent with the rays and not enough with the snorkeling segments. Additionally, since there were other boats nearby (and others coming and going in the area), I didn’t feel very comfortable exploring very far from the boat.

The OF excursion is limited to 12 people and the “guide” gives an extensive description of what you will see in every direction. They chose the 3 sites that day based on weather and the location of other boats (when we went a group from Red Sails were doing their “check-out” dive at one site, so we stayed away from it). The possible sites are all near OF, so most of your 2.5 to 3 hours is spent snorkeling. The range of coral, fish, etc. we saw was amazing. One of the sites we visited was by the Reef Cam that you can find on the OF website:

http://www.oceanfrontiers.com/webcam.html

Here is my review of the OF snorkel excursion:

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

NC
Level Contributor
573 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ideas for our trip in May

caymanshelly, do you know if we need to book bio tour far in advance? We will be there May 22-27 and per the website it looks like they will be doing tours during that time, but not the kayak but only a pontoon? Maybe i'm reading it wrong..Either way this certainly is something i know our friends would enjoy.

MidwestAnnie, thanks for that info. We usually just have always taken tips from Testudo far as when it comes to snorkeling tips, but, since we are needing to do Sting ray city again that tour you mentioned sounds really good. The last time we went there we did the jet ski tour and stopped at coral gardens, and it was great. My wife however said that would be the last time she rode on the back of a jet ski, so if we were to do that again we would have to rent two seperate jet skis which would be pricey..

Thanks again all