We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I shouldve known better...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
37 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
I shouldve known better...

Im not generally 'lucky' so I should have known better. When I saw a low sale airfare to GC in March I booked it. Without any research. I just ASSUMED it was low season since the airfare was so low.

You guessed it...now I am looking for lodging and I am starting to realize we may have to sleep in a tent on the beach. haha. PLEASE HELP! Seriously, I need leads for the least expensive accommodations on the island. Im not picky!

Any and all suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: I shouldve known better...

BarbP: Thanks for your reply in which you wrote:

“Annie - you can go onto Redweek as a guest but not sure you have the ability to do an actual rental, only see listings, availability, pricing. If you could also do a rental as a guest, there would be no incentive to join which is only around $15 a year.”

I have to admit, BarbP, that I am still confused. If you are not sure that “guests” can do “an actual rental,” what was the reason for this reply to someone who was looking for (IMO) budget lodging (i.e. #16 in this thread):

“Part of the problem is that your time frame spans more than a week, so getting a timeshare would be difficult for that amount of time unless you book two weeks back-to-back and "forfeit" the extra nights you don't need […]”

Am I missing something here?

Edited: 19 February 2014, 03:39
Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,620 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: I shouldve known better...

The OP can looking at the Redweek listings, pricing & availability as a Guest to see if there is anything that would work for her. If not, it has not cost her anything but her time. If there is, she can pursue it by paying the membership fee and booking a rental. One post said $250/night at Comfort Suites but didn't specify whether that included taxes and service charge. Redweek rentals at Morritt's for her time frame were as low as $143 a night. If the OP can save $100 per night, how does that not justify paying a $15 fee that is good for a year? If you know of available rentals that run less than $143 a night for March, a lot of us would love to know about them so we can consider them for future trips. Availability for the OP at this late date is going to be an issue.

Unless I can't count, the OP needs lodging for 11 nights. There may be exceptions during slow periods, but timeshares are usually only rented out in 7-night increments. Hence, two weeks back-to-back would be a total of 14 nights. The OP would then have to either have an early check-out and "forfeit" the remaining 3 nights, stay just one week and move to another location for the remaining 4 nights, or just do the 11 nights at another property, which seems difficult to find considering her budget constraints. Obviously one would have to do a cot analysis to see which makes the most sense. taking into consideration the hassle of a possible move mid-vacation.

You have said you are not familiar with timeshares so I guess I'll chuck that up to the reason you found my posts so difficult to understand. As I indicated before, I was only trying to provide the OP with a possible option given her tight budget constraints. Guess I shouldn't have bothered.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,319 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: I shouldve known better...

The $250/day at Comfort Suites does not include taxes or additional daily room fee.

Finding a low airfare seems to be a priority for many travelers. Wonderful, but airfare is seldom the largest expense of a vacation. This is especially true when visiting locations that are popular and even more so during busy seasons.

It is almost always wiser to seek out and book accommodations (that can be cancelled without a fee) and determine the add ons that you cannot control, whether or not renting a car is necessary, all of the basic feet on the ground costs, before committing to the air portion.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,620 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: I shouldve known better...

Lovecayman - couldn't agree more, especially when going to a destination you have not been to before. Seasoned GC travelers know what to expect in the line of costs and availability, so will make sure they are going to have lodging they can afford before booking airfare, even if it is a bargain. As with all impulse buying, there are often pitfalls.

Unless I missed it, there doesn't seem to have been a response from the OP amonst all the latest banter. Wonder if she has she found something or given up, and is just going to eat the cost of changing her tickets to a time frame when lodging is more affordable?

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,319 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: I shouldve known better...

BarbP: This is something seasoned travelers know irrespective of the destination.

Had to plan out a trip to CA for this June with days coordinating with a relative who lives in Asia & will be there during a certain time period with almost no wiggle room. Luckily found decent airfare, but car rental cost is nuts (actually will be more than one round trip air ticket from BOS-SFO!) and 4 of our 7 nights at 3 different hotels quite a bit more expensive than we have previously paid many times in the past at the same hotels.

We have to go when we have to go, yet even before making the air reservations, added up the rest of the fixed expenses to determine if I needed to look for alternate accommodations. I am fairly picky about where I stay and sleep so it was not an easy choice to pay up this time! What we did do was purchase trip insurance for the air component just in case something prevents this relative from being able to be there:-). Well worth the

$46 in this case.

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: I shouldve known better...

BarbP, Thanks for your wonderful explanation. I think my brain may have been in semi-hybernation (from all this snow and cold weather) when I was trying to figure it all out (as someone who never thought I could rent timeshare units).

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,620 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: I shouldve known better...

Lovecayman - Yes, planning ahead and figuring in all cots is a necessity whenever we're going to travel.Now that hubby and I are retired, we have much more flexibility as to when we travel, not having to deal with schools schedules, time off from work, etc. Not all of us are able to throw caution to the wind when it comes to expenses and sometimes you just either have to suck it up and pay what it is or rethink your plans. Enjoy CA.

Annie - You're welcome. I think we're all suffering from brain freeze this winter! Looking forward to it being 70 tomorrow.

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: I shouldve known better...

Maybe the OP was scared away by all this banter, I would have been.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
581 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: I shouldve known better...

Well when she said $250 a night was well above her budget..I cringed for her.

Sorry but Grand Cayman and budget vacation just don't go together very well.

Reminds me of another thread on here asking about the low season for the Ritz....does that even exist?

But thats where credit cards sure come in handy.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,620 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: I shouldve known better...

When you post a question on a forum, especially for a destination you have never been to, you have to be prepared for banter - good, bad, or indifferent. Lots of opinions based on lots of different experiences. Like any topic of discussion, you'll likely not agree with all of it but it's the nature of any forum, not just on TA. You can tell when the banter is getting out of hand when posts start getting removed, which none have been in this topic.

Hopefully the OP did get some ideas of what to do and will return with the outcome.