We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkeling

New Jersey
Level Contributor
181 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
snorkeling

I need some input on snorkeling. My family and I were planning on taking the snorkel safari with redsail so I emailed them asking which sites they go to. They said they stop at 2 reefs along seven mile beach. Midwestannie made me aware of Ocean Frontiers and that looks pretty interesting at half the price. Now I know we are paying for the use of the waverunners and that's why it is quite expensive but I really just want the best snorkeling experience. Does anyone know which reefs they might be along seven mile and whether the east end would be better?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,258 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkeling

IMO, the better snorkeling is NOT on SMB. Plus, any snorkeling along SMB is best reached by shore rather than paying for a boat.

hudson valley
Level Contributor
2,945 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkeling

IMHO, other than going to Sandbar or staying somewhere along the middle of SMB with no rental car there's absolutely no reason to pay for a snorkeling excursion on GC. There are so many good places to snorkel right from shore, for free, that a family of four may run out of fingers and toes counting them.

Depending on where you're staying and your transportation options you may have options very close by, or you may need to drive a little bit. At the north end of SMB there's Cemetery. Almost everything south of Georgetown Harbour to Smiths Cove. Frank Sound, along the south shore is good, especially if you're adventurous enough to swim far out. Along the north shore there's Rum Point and Babylon. Out at East End pretty much any place with access is good. Just google GC snorkeling sites or browse through the forum for other places.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkeling

We are staying at the Westin. We may rent a car for a day just to get to some snorkel spots but that is what I am trying to figure out right now. We are going to do Capt Marvins for stingray city but then should we rent a car, do another boat trip or do the safari?

hudson valley
Level Contributor
2,945 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkeling

YMMV, but I'd rent a car and choose my own itinerary. Short rentals will cost more per day than a weekly rental, but even so, I'd figure that you can rent a car for a day and put gas in it for no more than the cost of 2 people paying for a boat trip. You should be able to catch a bus up to Cemetery and down to GT for some good snorkeling, but I'd never consider a trip to GC complete without heading out around the east end.

FWIW, things change and nothing on GC is as pristine as it once was, but the east end and eastern half of the north shore have always been considered much better than west and western end of the south shore. If it's your first time you'll come home with a completely skewed idea of what GC is like if you don't get away from the west end. It's kind of like thinking all of Jersey is like Secaucus, with no clue about the pine barrens or Water Gap.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkeling

Years back son and daughter-in- law did Redsail Snorkel Safari from central SMB location and totally enjoyed it! They jet skied to 3 snorkel spots ranging from near Eden Rock to Cemetery and said it was a good bang for the buck. As a disclaimer, they were interested/enthusiastic vs hardcore snorkel people!

louisiana
Level Contributor
190 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: snorkeling

any hotels have good snorkeling on site?

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: snorkeling

I totally agree with Smushie re: good snorkeling along Seven Mile Beach (i.e you can find a lot better snorkeling sites).

If you want a great snorkeling experience, I still recommend the OF 3-stop excursion. You could rent a car for the day, take the morning to drive to Rum Point, Starfish Beach, the Blow Holes, do snorkeling (look at Testudo's snorkeling guide) at Queens Monument, and/or visit the Botanic Park (I would strongly recommend the Iguana Safari at 11:00 am), and then go to OF for lunch and then enjoy their lovely snorkeling excursion.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,848 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: snorkeling

If you want to go on a snorkeling excursion, the Ocean Frontiers (done) or White Sands Sports (not done) basically hit the same spots, and they are by far the best spots to visit on a boat tour. Many of the Jet Ski tours on the North Sound will stop at the Rum Point Boulder Gardens which is another great spot as well.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: snorkeling

Are any areas more calm, not so choppy for snorkeling than others?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: snorkeling

We have had fun going to either Paradise (right by the arrivals pier in Georgetown) or to Eden Rock and snorkeling right from there. Of course the wind will determine how choppy the water is, but if you keep looking down you will be mesmerized by the color and clarity of the water and the abundance of marine life!

Best part is.....it is FREE, so if you are not comfortable in the water, just leave an go elsewhere. Bus will take you from Westin into town and back after.