We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in GC- early April

NJ
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First time in GC- early April

Looking to finalize our trip and had some questions for the group. We are going with our two kids, 10 and under and staying at Marriott for one week. We normally love to rent cars and do a lot of exploring.

* Renting a car- Does it make sense to do it the entire week or just a couple of days? Either way, recommendations on car rental companies?

* Things to do- Definitely want to check out Rum point. What else should we see on the day we go there? Starfish beach? Blow holes? Outdoor restaurants? We have the list of days cruise ships are in. Only one or two days we are there will be crazy- 4 ships docked close by. We also want to do Stingray sand bar and incorporate it with some sort of snorkeling trip. Any thoughts on vendors? We are looking at Captain Marvins right now. Any other recommendations for things to do or beaches to see?

* Restaurants- Looking for some ideas close to Marriott or we could drive to. Have no problem going to bar type places with outdoor seating with views. Any thoughts, please let me know. With two kids, it is tough to have a great sit down meal, but would love to have thoughts on places where we could also check out. Lastly, any local style food recommendations?

* If we do not get a car for the entire stay, how good is the transportation system to get to Georgetown or West Bay, etc?

Thanks to all!

NJ

reviews: 2

Save this Post

1st time in GC, Staying at Marriott- Need some advice

Feb 24, 2014, 6:14 PM

Going to GC in early April with family. Have two kids, ages 10 and 6. Staying at Marriott for 7 days.

* Should we rent a car? Thoughts on car rentals in GC? We like to explore and may go out to Rum Point. How far is RP from Marriott?

* Best option for snorkel/stingray city sandbar?

* Restaurant options for our family with two kids? Looking for outdoor local places or outdoor restaurants that are family friendly.

* Other activities to do while on trip?

* Beaches to visit/snorkel at? (we have our own gear)

I have been doing some research and wanted to see some ideas from some experts. Thanks, Bill

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in GC- early April

Personally I think it's a big advantage to rent a car. You can go to Rum Point etc on your own schedule & also go to the supermarket for snacks, drinks etc especially for the kids.....saves a lot of $$$

Buses do run along West Bay Rd so you could get to the beaches easily but recognize that the buses are actually vans.

You should definitely plan a beach day at Rum Point & Starfish Beach.....the kids will love it! Don't waste time or $$ at the Pirates Cave. Blowholes is just a stop along the side of the road.

We love to go to Stingray City & Sandbar with Soto's Cruises.....they will come & pick you up and they only take a small group

Restaurants: look at Caymangoodtaste : near Marriott is Coconut Joes, Casanova, or walk on the beach to Royal Palms when ships are not in town.

Look at Testudo's snorkel guide.

Enjoy!

Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in GC- early April

I think renting a car is a nice option as well. During our last trip we rented a car for 3-4 days instead of the whole week and that worked out well for us, it just depends on what you plan on doing. We rented through Budget and didn't have any issues.

Rum Point is a good place to visit and we enjoyed eating lunch there. They have picnic tables on the beach so you can eat right outside and enjoy the view. I think it was called the Wreck Bar & Grill.

We went with Captain Marvin's for Stingray Sandbar and had a really great experience. There was a photographer along who took really nice pictures and during the boat ride back to shore they uploaded the pictures to a disc for us. We also stopped at a few spots to snorkel and that was really neat too.

Not sure if the Turtle Farm interests you at all, but we traveled with 2 children last time and we stopped at the turtle farm and the kids enjoyed that.

Enjoy your trip!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,862 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in GC- early April

If you love to explore new places by car then definitely rent one while on Grand Cayman. It's easy and safe to get around in you own vehicle and much more convenient that taking the bus. You might also think about visiting the QE Botanical Park and perhaps tour the Blue Iguana recovery program. Great place to spend an afternoon. For good local fried fish I would check out Heritage Kitchen near the 4-way in West Bay. Kids can play on the beach while waiting/eating. Camana Bay is also a nice place to wander around in the afternoon. It's a quiet upscale outdoor mall. On a rainy day it's a nice place to window shop, get ice-cream, enjoy lunch or catch a movie.

Edited: 14 March 2014, 13:40
Magog, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in GC- early April

We were there the first week of march and I did a trip report that answers some of your questions:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147365-i261-k7275…

Don't hesitate if you have questions.

Michel

5. Re: First time in GC- early April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2015, 13:20