We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel reccom. Ritz Carlton Vs Westin - Better pool/hot tubs?

New York
Level Contributor
222 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel reccom. Ritz Carlton Vs Westin - Better pool/hot tubs?

Hi all,

We are planning a trip to GCM this summer (The last time we were there was a day trip on a cruise ship spot when they were just starting to build the ritz carlton before we had kids!). It was such a beautiful island, we always said we wanted to go back. We have been travelling to turks and caicos the past few years, but the prices have gone up too high so we are trying something else this summer.

We will be traveling with our 2 kids ( ages 9 & 6), we were thinking of either the westin or the ritz carlton. Which hotel would you recommend? A nice big pool and hot tub would be a plus, would you say that one has a bigger/better pool over the other? Do both resorts have hot tubs? A kids program/camp is not necessary as we have our kids stay with us all day.

Thanks so much for any feedback,

Marina

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,518 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hotel reccom. Ritz Carlton Vs Westin - Better pool/hot tubs?

Well, I don't cook either when I'm on my vacation, and if you don't want to go grocery shopping, you can just order it online and get it delivered and unpacked for you....

Beaches in front of the condos tend to be quieter, too, which is something that I enjoy.

But ok, since you insist on a hotel choice ;-) - Definitely the Ritz Carlton over the Westin.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,337 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hotel reccom. Ritz Carlton Vs Westin - Better pool/hot tubs?

"I have no desire to do any cooking or grocery shopping on vacation"

Then don't. You can have groceries and liquor delivered and waiting for you on arrival. It's actually a common question on the Cayman forums. Besides, even without cooking, how is it more relaxing to leave your room every time you want a glass of water or some juice? Wouldn't it be easier to simply open the fridge and grab something to drink or snack on some leftovers? Plus, bedrooms aside, is it really that relaxing for four people to share a single bathroom? How well does that work when everyone is hungry and trying to get ready to go out to dinner? Does everyone get their turn or is it a free for all of showering, shaving and other bathroom activities?To each their own I suppose. I just don't see the benefit of not being able to put the kids to bed and enjoying some privacy. Anyway my suggestion is as stated above. If cost is not an issue (and a condo is not an option), try the Ritz.

Edited: 16 March 2014, 04:27
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hotel reccom. Ritz Carlton Vs Westin - Better pool/hot tubs?

I can't think of any metric in which I'd recommend the Westin over the Ritz, bar the crowded beach issue which shouldn't come in to it during most of the Summer. The pool at the Ritz is nicer too

Waltham...
3 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Hotel reccom. Ritz Carlton Vs Westin - Better pool/hot tubs?

We love Cayman in the summer! The pools are too hot to swim in that time of year. Westin pool is our favorite if we had to pick. Ritz pool didn't impress us.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,876 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Hotel reccom. Ritz Carlton Vs Westin - Better pool/hot tubs?

Do not forget to ask hotels about the Resort Fee. At the Ritz that means $60 per person per day!!!

Another point for the condo side!

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,688 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Hotel reccom. Ritz Carlton Vs Westin - Better pool/hot tubs?

From the RC website:

"Please Note – Daily resort fee of USD 60 added to rate includes high speed Internet access/valet parking/water activities and more! "

This is per room, note per person as cmgparsons has indicated.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,976 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Hotel reccom. Ritz Carlton Vs Westin - Better pool/hot tubs?

Thanks for the accurate information, Barb.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,556 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Hotel reccom. Ritz Carlton Vs Westin - Better pool/hot tubs?

I also do not cook when on vacation, yet find luxury beachfront condo on GC beats any hotel unless it is just husband and I there. Upside is NOT having to be primped and dressed for every breakfast and ability to have variety of snacks and drinks within arms reach to enjoy barefoot prior to enjoying fine dinner at nearby restaurant. GC is the sole vacation spot we go to where condo is our choice over hotel room.

If you are totally intent on hotel, go for RC as long as you secure a room in the building fronting SMB. Note that most of the rooms there and the CLUB room are in the building that is not directly on SMB.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Hotel reccom. Ritz Carlton Vs Westin - Better pool/hot tubs?

$60 a day might be the highest 'resort/amenities fee' I've ever seen, it seems strange to bundle valet parking and water activities in there. I don't know of anybody who self parks at the Ritz and it used to be discouraged even for bar and restaurant customers

I'm a loyal Ritz man, but if you consider the $500-600 rates for the oceanfront rooms, add in the $60 fee, add on the taxes and consider the cost of food and drink on property, I'd be hard pressed to recommend it over Caribbean Club. CC is as luxurious and furnished better than the $600 rooms at the Ritz

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,876 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Hotel reccom. Ritz Carlton Vs Westin - Better pool/hot tubs?

Agreed......I too have stayed at other Ritz properties. And I do believe that the Ritz has "raised the bar" re surrounding condos. But in my opinion the resort fee is something that most guests are not expecting when they are quoted a daily rate. Surprise! And the fancy loungers on the beach are additional $$$s also. Know before you go.