We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time visitors

Calgary
Level Contributor
38 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
1st time visitors

My husband and I are planning a trip to Grand Cayman end of August beginning of September, appreciate its possible hurricane season but not too worried, we always travel to the Caribbean the same 2 weeks each year and have been lucky so far! Not sure where to stay, would like somewhere on the beach (or across the road), with a pool, smaller hotel/condos are fine, don't like crowds of people around the pool. We like to eat out in the evenings and have a drink or 2 with dinner but are not party animals so quieter places would work for us too. Would like somewhere close to restaurants if possible as don't plan to rent a car - unless of course you think it's a good idea.

Any suggestions/advice would be great please.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,878 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time visitors

Do you have a budget in mind? There is a 13% government tax on all accommodations plus most places will have a service charge (6-10%). Knowing your budget will help people narrow down their recommendations as there's lots of great places in GC that would likely fit the preferences you have given.

As far as the car rental goes, I would recommend one for at least part of your stay, especially if you are going for two weeks. While you can get around the SMB and Georgetown areas via public bus (actually they're mini vans) , transportation to other areas of the island really requires a car. Taxis can be expensive and the costs can add up quickly, making a rental car more economical.

Edited: 17 March 2014, 04:44
Calgary
Level Contributor
38 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time visitors

Our budget is really around $3000 for the accommodation, flights extra to that. Thanks for the info so far.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,966 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time visitors

So your budget is around $215 per night, inclusive of fees and taxes, and presumably since it's the tow of you, a 2BR would be good.

The good thing about that time of year is that places will often give you a break on a weekly rate, especially if you are staying for 2 weeks. it's worth having a discussion with whoever is handling the rentals at a place you are interested in.

I don't think you will find it that busy in August, no matter where you go - I was there for the first half of August last year and I never really saw any crowds - there even weren't as many cruise ship visitors in. All the restaurants that I wanted to visit were open. The only downside was that the pools were far too warm - it was like sitting in a hot tub! We would get out of the pool to cool off!

Having a quiet place that is near restaurants is more of a challenge, but then again, I think that in the off-season everywhere is going to be relatively quiet - I don't think you will find any crowds around pools.

I would be looking at places central to northern Seven Mile Beach area. See what fits your needs, read reviews, etc. Please come back here if you have any more questions, or have narrowed it down to a few candidates - folks here have a lot of experience staying in the various condos along SMB.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,878 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time visitors

When looking at places, check for Summer Splash Rates, which gives either an additional discount off the normal low-season rates or a free night for every 4-5 that is booked. Since you're looking at early September, you'll need to check to see when these rates end (Labor Day maybe?) Some of these need to be booked by early April so you might want to do your research soon.

One place that comes to mind that fits your criteria is Sunshine Suites, which is across the road from the Westin and public beach area. It has a small pool, popular on-site restaurant and would be accessible to other restaurants, either by walking or using the mini-buses. The rooms have kitchens (no oven) which would allow you to prepare some of your meals in if you so desire or at least make lunches to take to the beach with you. Having access to snacks and beverages in your room can be a plus, especially if staying for two weeks.

Others will likely have other recommendations that will fit your budget and might get you on the beach. With just the two of you, I would think a studio or 1 BR would work., although these are less common than 2 BR's.

I agree it shouldn't be that busy. Not only are some people (not you!) skeptical of traveling to the Caribbean during hurricane season, kids will either be back in school already or about to head there, depending on what part of the country they live in. You won't be seeing a lot of families with school-aged children during the first week of September, but maybe some during the last week in August.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,185 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time visitors

" You won't be seeing a lot of families with school-aged children during the first week of September "

Barb, that is exactly why we choose September for our 2+ week stay lol

Calgary
Level Contributor
38 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time visitors

Thanks for the advise everyone, well we upped the budget and decided to stay at Grand Cayman Beach Suites, got a good deal on the price with the flight so really happy. Been watching the prices and realised they are starting to rise so took the plunge! Thanks again everyone, Tripadvisor has awesome reviewers! Am definitely going to check out the website with restaurant links to see what to budget for.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,878 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time visitors

Glad that you were able to get accommodations you are happy with at a good price. Enjoy your vacation!

8. Re: 1st time visitors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2015, 04:20