We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkel Trip for large wedding party

Boston...
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkel Trip for large wedding party

Hello!

I am in the midst of wedding planning. We've decided on Grand Cayman and will have a group of 80-100 friends joining us on island. I think a no brainer group excursion would be a snorkel trip including visit to Stingray City but I'm having difficulty finding a cost effective vendor who can accommodate a group this large in one or two boats. Does anyone have a recommendation for this? Red Sail is the only vendor we've found to be responsive but their rates seem a bit excessive (would be over $40 per person even for a group this large). Would love to find something at or below $30pp.

Thanks for any guidance!

Suren

Tennessee
Level Contributor
581 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkel Trip for large wedding party

100 people at one time, snorkeling a reef? Sounds like alot of fun.

Boston...
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkel Trip for large wedding party

Thanks for your help. Sounds like almost as much fun as living in TN.

Chartering 2 Catamarans with a group of close friends sounds like fun to me.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
581 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkel Trip for large wedding party

Your right, I'm sure it will work out fine. Good luck and congratulations.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,757 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkel Trip for large wedding party

IMO. I would go with Red Sail. They do a great job, everyone will have a great day, & $40 p/p is not a bad price. Also, their cats have plenty of space & can accommodate little kids to older people.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,671 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkel Trip for large wedding party

Lots of things to consider when looking at pricing - length of the trip, time of day, departure location, transportation to/from the boat(s) for such a large group, will everyone need snorkel gear, any food or beverages? Since Red Sail advertises on their website an $80 pp rate for their Stingray Sandbar and Reef Sail, IMO $40 pp is quite a discount.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkel Trip for large wedding party

Depending on how many people want to go to Sting Ray sand bar, Double Trouble may work for you. They can accommodate about 60-70 between their two boats. Worth asking them as their rates are very reasonable and they likely can arrange a 3rd boat if everyone wants to go. We used them when we got married and when we had 25 friends on island 2 weeks ago. You can find them on facebook.

hudson valley
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkel Trip for large wedding party

"100 people at one time, snorkeling a reef? Sounds like alot of fun."

I completely understand your thinking, but OTOH I figure that's just SOP at Sandbar.

For the OP: 100 people is a big group for a boat ride, and requires either a very large boat (that probably doesn't exist in GC) or multiple smaller boats, so that limits you to either multiple operators (who may or may not be cooperative with each other about getting everybody there at the same time), or an outfitter with enough capacity to accommodate you without too much disruption to their normal schedule.

I also expect that you're running into the problem of competing or conflicting with their routine business. Staffing and operating a boat with 100 guests costs the same whether it's one group or 30. The only savings I see is a minor reduction in work for the reservations staff, but they're in the office anyway. I expect that all operators expect to run close to capacity whether they accept your charter or not. Nobody's going to be running a boat that would just sit at the mooring if your group wasn't going, other than the possibility of squeezing in an additional trip beyond their regular schedule. If they can fill the same amount of space at their regular rate there's very little room to give you a break without sacrificing their own income.

If you have trouble organizing one trip, you might consider running 2 or 3 separate trips to accommodate your entire group. I still wouldn't expect any real break on the per person cost, but you and the spouse might get to go free for the 2nd (or 3rd) trip so that you can go out with all of your guests without increasing your cost.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,671 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkel Trip for large wedding party

A couple of other things to keep in mind :

1) What is the minimum number of people you have to have to get the rate quoted? If it drops below a certain number, does the price increase?

2) How far in advance do you have to give the final head count? We all know that people often change their minds at the last minute. What sounds good today may not be so when the time draws nearer.

3) How far in advance will you be notified if the weather does not permit the trip to take place? With so may people, getting the word out about a change in plans could take some time to accomplish. You wouldn't want to just find out the trip is off after people have already left for the boat.

Having organized many. many group activities in the past, I know what you're looking at doing will not necessarily be easy. Good luck!

Boston...
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkel Trip for large wedding party

Thank to (almost) all for your thoughts!

10. Re: Snorkel Trip for large wedding party

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2015, 08:19