We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended Attractions?

Norwalk, CT
Level Contributor
38 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Recommended Attractions?

Hello everyone!

Excited to say I'll be traveling to Grand Cayman in May and staying at the Shangri-La bed & breakfast. My wife and I are celebrating our 1 year anniversary so I'd like to enjoy the island as much as possible.

With that said, I've read so many reviews about what to see, where to go, but I really need help narrowing it down.

We're both not divers and if we snorkel, it'd be in shallow water (can't lie, it freaks me out). We like to explore and enjoy nature (was thinking Botanical Garden). Also would like to go on a Jet Ski tour that I read about - good idea?

I've rented a car while we're there so I plan on taking advantage of that.

So with that said, what are the top things to do?

-SMB for a day?

-Stingray City?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,347 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended Attractions?

SMB - try it early - you may find you want to come back! Go to places like Public Beach, or Cemetery Beach

Stingray City - that is a snorkel site with about 12-15 feet of water (it's also a dive site), so I would imagine that you wouldn't feel comfortable snorkelling there, based on what you have said. However going to the Sandbar to play with the stingrays would be highly recommended, in my opinion.

Smith Cove is a fun spot, too - swimming, jumping off the rocks, and just taking it easy.

Take an evening stroll around Camana Bay, sit outside at one of the bars or restaurants and watch the world go by.

Then there are the other things like kayaking, horseback riding, etc.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,719 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended Attractions?

here is a great link to a driving tour that you could take one day

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147365-c164561/Grand…

The botanic garden has a tour of the Iguana recovery program at 11..daily except sunday.

If you're into history, tour pedro St. James or the Mission house in boddentown

Biolum tour with Cayman kayaks is great...they also have a kayak tour of the mangroves

Edited: 25 March 2014, 18:52
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended Attractions?

I agree with all of the above recommendations. The blue iguana experience at the Botanic Gardens is unique....very interesting. (also very hot....go prepared with hat, sunscreen etc.) Spending time on SMB would be at the top of my list, especially at sunset. Perhaps take a bottle of wine & some snacks which you can pick up at Fosters supermarket in West Bay & relax on the beach until well past sunset. It's magnificent! Or go to Macabuca, order some conch fritters & a beer or cocktail, and watch the sun set from there.

Norwalk, CT
Level Contributor
38 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended Attractions?

Awesome! Thanks so much!

The Driving Tour is something we'll definitely do. Same with SMB and Stingray city. I don't mind snorkeling if it's in very shallow water. I know, I'm a wimp...haha!

Thanks again for all the tips. Really appreciate it!

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,347 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommended Attractions?

So is 12-15 feet "very shallow" by your standards? If it's not, then as I said before, Stingray City is not going to be a good experience for you, as it's not easily within swimming distance from land. You really need to go to Sandbar.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,676 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommended Attractions?

I do not like to be in the water! Last year we took a family cruise and I booked a tour with Mario at Aquarius Tours. I thought I would go with all the family, but "watch" from the boat.

Well, I changed my mind when it was only 4 feet of water or less, stood the entire time and it was awesome! I even petted a stingray!! I did not snorkel. Just watched the kids. Beautiful day, incredible experience and Mario was superb!!!!

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,347 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommended Attractions?

Queeni_traveler, yes, that's exactly the experience at the Sandbar - I think it is perfect for those that are not comfortable in water deeper than what they can stand in.

Glad you had such a great time!

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,676 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommended Attractions?

We loved it! Beautiful day and incredible memories. Pictures also!!

PA
Level Contributor
571 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommended Attractions?

I would definitely go to the Botanic Gardens, as mentioned, with one suggestion....go when it opens. It does get quite hot and there is much to see....and the blue iguanas are a highlight, for sure.

The Turtle Farm also should not be missed....seeing the turtles at all stages of development is such a treat...in addition to the turtles, a highlight for us is seeing the little bird aviary on site....for those interested, you'll be given bird seed and a bird or two will land on your hand to feed...love that!

I would also recommend a sunset catamaran cruise with Red Sail....it's glorious, not expensive and, if you're interested...there is a bar on board. :)

One last thing....Cayman's answer to Jimmy Buffet is the Barefoot Man who plays Saturday nights at the Wharf restaurant, along with Sea n'B, who are wonderful singers/musicians. Barefoot Man and Chuck (half of Sea n'B) also play at the Reef Resort on Thursday nights as part of dinner/show venue. Wouldn't miss hearing these people.....you can also find their CD's all over the island as a great souvenir that's easy to pack. :)

Have fun....and most everyone who goes to Cayman starts to plan their return trip about mid week! :)

Have fun,

Celine

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,185 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommended Attractions?

Vinnie, please do a report on ShangiLa, we are staying there in January for our 35th anniversary.