We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel

Level Contributor
89 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel

I am looking for a nice beach hotel with a lot of beach space going with children don't want to be on top of ppl and a one bedroom suite

I want to be in walking distance of everything

Looking at the following

Westin

Ritz

Gc beach suites

Pros and cons please

And any other suggestions

Going in September how's the weather

Thanks in advance

Marblehead...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel

We just stayed at The Caribbean Club and everything about it was great. A nice big beach area with only 30 something units to share it, as well as a nice infinity pool with ocean views. The Ritz looked very nice, but they cram you in on the beach like sardines.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
636 Reviews
Grand Cayman
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,772 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel

I agree that the Ritz beach chairs are lined up like toy soldiers, one row after the other. They are on one of the best sections of the beach, but I don't care for the closeness. The Westin's beach chair arrangement is more spread out, but if my memory is correct, they offer hotel rooms, not true suites. GCBS beach is lovely, but the chairs are also lined up rather close together......they do offer kitchenettes in their rooms.

You should look at luxury condo options where you will have a kitchen (great for breakfasts & snacks esp for the children) as well as daily maid service.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,825 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel

If the RItz is in your budget then I would consider a condo, especially if you're looking for an uncrowded beach.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,021 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel

A lot of the rooms at the Ritz area across the street from the main part of the hotel. The two sections are connected by a covered walkway, but it can be a long walk between the beach and your room. Beach area can be crowded, as mentioned above. Westin has a better beach area.

With two kids, I' agree with the other posts that recommend a condo. More space and you have the ability to have your own beverages and snacks (which can add up cost-wise), even make breakfast or lunch if you want.

Since SMB is actually about 5 1/2 miles long, no matter where you stay you won't be "in walking distance of everything" but the central part of SMB will give you the most options is terms of restaurants and shops. Attractions like the Turtle Farm will require a bus or taxi ride. Places like Rum Point and the Botanical Garden will require a rental car.

September can be one of the rainier months (see info on the weather under Top Questions at the right) and is smack in the middle of hurricane season. Also keep in mind that some businesses close down in September and October.

Mentioned in this post
Rum Point
Rum Point
2,416 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel

I agree about the convenience and space of a condo for a family. If you do prefer a hotel, the Beachsuites would be a good choice. The beach is a bit small but the hotels are not fully occupied in September. You will be taking your chances with the weather. I have had long stretches of sunny days in September as well as some stays with many stormy days. Last year, we had 13 out of 14 days with rain, wind and rough seas. You just never know and, as BarbP mentioned, you would be traveling during hurricane season so be sure to purchase trip insurance.

Edited: 30 March 2014, 15:45
Houston, Texas
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel

We've stayed at the Ritz on a previous trip but stayed in condos this time. We really prefer the condos. If it is of interest, kids can still participate in Ambassadors of the Environment at the Ritz, even if you aren't staying there. I am not sure what is going on, but there is some construction around the resort room area at the Ritz (near the rooms that are away from the beach). We only passed by it on the way to the kids club, so we don't know anything more.

Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel

if you can afford the ritz then stay at the beachcomber next door. amazing luxury condos

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,357 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel

You should look at choices such a the Carib Club, Beachcomber etc., look at sites like caymanvacations.com to get ideas. When we first started going to the island we stayed in the Hyatt hotel. We had two small children and used to get to adjoining rooms so we were not crowded into one room. That said from the first time we stayed in a condo, we never went back to the hotel rooms again.

Mentioned in this post
Beachcomber Grand Cayman
Beachcomber Grand Cayman
275 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,087 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel

Like Retrip, our first stay was at the former Hyatt and like Retrip then chose condos for family trips. It is quite common that people, ESP families, who chose to stay in a hotel on GC for their first visit decide within a few days their next trip there will be spent in a condo:-). There are several luxury level ones in the central part of SMB near Westin, Ritz, Beachsuites. Follow advice to take a look @ caydirect or caymanvacations.com to see units, locations, amenities.

Level Contributor
89 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which hotel

Thank u seconds guessing bc of the weather

It rained a lot in Florida last sept too

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman