We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

Spring, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental

Trying to decide on what company to go with. Leaning towards Andy's due to the affordability on their insurance.

There is such a wide range of prices on the island. Any recomendations?

Looking for a Mid-Sized car with full coverage insurance at the end of this month.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,185 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Car Rental

The usual "surprise" is the drivers permit, but as we have chatted about that in this thread, no point rehashing it.

No, I have not seen any hidden fees over and above what you normally get when you rent a car in the USA. Kate S, you didn't say where you are from, so would it be safe to assume that you are familiar with the car rental process and fess (insurance, "prepaid fuel", etc) that you get in the USA?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Car Rental

I'm slightly familiar, I don't tend to rent cars very often but I am familiar with the general process. I think the concern was mostly surrounding local taxes and fees that were not disclosed with the quote on some of the websites. If that isn't the case though - that would be great news.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,924 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Car Rental

Check to see if the credit card you are planning on using for the rental will cover any of the insurance, which generally is not included in the basic rate, since different people will opt for different coverage. You should be able to tell how much the different insurance coverages cost per day, and they can add up. Also not included will be the driver's permit and any optional equipment such as car seats, GPS, etc. The choice to pre-pay your fuel is another one that is not included. Only you can decide whether that's worth it or not, depending on how much you plan on using the car. We always just fill the tank near the airport so it's full when we return the car.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
205 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Car Rental

You are probably already there and have rented, but my two cents: Just rented from Marhalls a week ago. Rented a 9 passenger Hyundai van. They by far had the best price. They were thorough in their description of all fees in the reservation email response. When I rented, they imprinted my card when I picked up the vehicle and ran the charge upon my returning the vehicle. There were no hidden fees or charges.

That said, i have rented elsewhere, like in Cozumel, Mexico - where a rental company (not all, but one i used one time) would put a $1000 or more "hold" on your credit card during your rental. You would need to read the fine print to discover this. So, you are wise to ask - but just ask your rental company for a full disclosure of all fees and review their rental policies on their web site to be sure.

Have fun in Cayman.

15. Re: Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2015, 05:15