We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to GC - have a few questions!

McMinnville, Oregon
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First visit to GC - have a few questions!

My husband and 10 year old daughter plan to trave to GC in July - have not settled on a place but will for sure be on 7 mile beach, probably Marriot or Westin. I have a few questions - yes I know I could probably search around TA and find them all, but to spare a little time, I would like your help. First, my daughter is an avid outdoorsman (girl) who loves to do anything and everything outside. This will be her first snorkeling trip however, and wanted to know if the waters are calm enough for a beginner. Also, she loves, loves, LOVES, animals and critters of all sorts - is there enough for her to see there? Are there places besides stringray city that we should visit that she would enjoy?

Food......she doesn't eat much, but is very picky - typical cheesburger, nugget, quesadilla type kid. Can we find a few restaurants like that around? Are there some restaurants that are more budget friendly for a small family or are we going to be eating at expensive restaurants for every meal?

Shopping - are there some fun shops around?

Thanks!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to GC - have a few questions!

For dining check out the caymangoodtaste.com site. You can see descriptions, menus, exact prices and there's an excellent map function as well.

For animals/critters, I would suggest the Turtle Farm and the Blue Iguana Recovery Program.

For hotels, definitely Westin over Marriott but I would suggest a condo over either, especially with a picky eater. Plus, dining in will be your most budget friendly option for a small family, at least for breakfast and lunch.

hudson valley
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to GC - have a few questions!

If you get typical weather you should expect the west end to be quite calm. You'll sometimes hear divers refer to west end diving as "bathtub diving", for both the warm temperatures and the calm waters. If you get atypical weather the west end may kick up a bit, but it's unlikely to last for long, and there are 3 other sides of the island to choose from. I was there for the tail end of Hurricane Mitch, and an hour after watching 20' waves crashing over the road in Georgetown we were watching 1' waves gently lapping at the beach up in Barkers.

Mallorytown, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to GC - have a few questions!

When they go to the Blue Iguana Recovery Program site -- the tour is at 11 every day except Sunday I think -- make sure they also visit the rest of the Queen Elizabeth Botanic Garden. We were there yesterday and saw lots of other wildlife. My husband and I are both biologists and loved it as we saw lots of animals (birds, butterflies, turtles, and huge Blue Iguanas) in their natural habitat. Bring binoculars when you come to Grand Cayman too. There's also a really interesting traditional Caymans house and garden which is really neat.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,198 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to GC - have a few questions!

Totally agree with Westin if you decide to stay in a hotel. Plently of restaurants that fit your wants & as suggested look at caymangoodtaste and camanrestaurantguide. No question the BEST and most fun place to shop for grand variety of items at all all price points is Pure Art which is located about a mile or so south of the center of GT.

McMinnville, Oregon
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to GC - have a few questions!

Is a condo you would recommend site for me to chexk out condos? Or the condos on the beach?

6. Re: First visit to GC - have a few questions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2016, 21:30
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,198 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First visit to GC - have a few questions!

For a nice overview of beachfront SMB condos check out caymanvacations.com and caydirect.

8. Re: First visit to GC - have a few questions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman