We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

air travel

Watertown
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
air travel

This is our first trip to the Cayman Islands. Does anyone have suggestion for air travel from Milwaukee WI to Cayman Brac?

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: air travel

If you are OK with flying out of O’Hare, I would highly recommend flying with Cayman Airways. You can fly non-stop from O’Hare to Grand Cayman, and then catch a flight the same day to Cayman Brac. CA allows 2 FREE checked bags and actually feeds you! Great service.

Flight Schedules (Non-stop flights are available on limited days and the schedule varies, depending in the time of year you are travelling: https://www.caymanairways.com/flight-schedule

Watertown
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: air travel

Thank you

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,733 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: air travel

If you have never been to Grand Cayman before, I would suggest saving the sister islands for a later trip and focusing your vacation planning on Grand Cayman.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: air travel

You didn't say what time of year you were travelling, or how far you were willing to drive on your to reach a starting airport. MidwestAnnie gave some great advice as far as a more direct route goes.

I just did a quick check for dates in September and found that you can go from Milwaukee (MKE) to the Brac for $290 round-trip, which seems really cheap to me. This would be with Delta via Atlanta and Grand Cayman, would depart MKE at 6am and you would be on the Brac at 3:10pm

For similar dates out of Chicago (ORD) for similar dates, the Delta flight via Atlanta is $315

The Cayman Airways flight is very seasonal. When it runs, it leaves ORD at 1:25pm, arriving at 5:25pm - the late flight for the Brac only runs on Sundays and some Mondays, so unless your days lined up, you may have to stay over on Grand Cayman and get the flight to the Brac the next day. I had very little luck with the Cayman Airways website to be able to compare fares.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: air travel

When we went to the Brac, we flew American Airlines from Ord to Miami and Miami to GC and then Cayman Airways from GC to Cayman Brac. We flew the jet from GC to the Brac. There are a number of smaller planes that run several times a day, but I didn't want to go on a small prop plane.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,750 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: air travel

There is a flight on American Air from Miami that goes to Cayman Brac Before proceeding to Grand Cayman. Arrives on the brac around noon. Not sure if you could make the connection in MIA from MKE or ORD.

TravelingBrit that is one low fare! Wish we could get something under $300 from S Florida to Grand Cayman. For 2 of us May 31st MIA GCM RT is over $900!

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: air travel

obxpat

that sounds like a lot--We are going in Dec. and returning in Jan. from Chicago and our RT fare was only $912 for two. Of course, I book as soon as I can.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,750 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: air travel

I know? Seems like we never pay any less originating in MIA than those flying through on a connection. Airline "Logic" is not my strong point! I had hoped it would be less off season.

Watertown
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: air travel

Over the weekend I was checking and found flying American out of O'Hare on 1/31/15 was $849 per person RT? are you sure your price of $912 RT in December was for two persons? Sounds like this was per person?

please give me more details.

Thank you for all your help

Joe

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: air travel

Yeah, on further review, the fares I mentioned were one-way. I had the wrong button checked :-(

I mean the comparison is valid, just not the actual numbers. Sorry about that.

Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman