We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing Prescription Meds to GC

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
Bringing Prescription Meds to GC

Hi,

I've researched the TSA website as well as old TA posts, but wanted to get the most current info from those here who have travelled to GC recently.

What is the rule for bringing prescription meds? I have one of those weekly pill boxes that has my various meds in it for the day, but didn't know if just bringing that would cause any issues?

Should I bring individual prescription bottles with my name and the medications name on it from the pharmacy? What do you do about vitamins (I take magnesium) and don't want to bring the big bottle along.

Thank you very much in advance for your responses!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,503 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing Prescription Meds to GC

I suggest you have the original bottles for any pills. While it shouldn't be a problem, if you are stopped going into any foreign country with "loose" pills, it would definitely be something that raises a flag especially if there are quite a few of them. I suggest you buy a small bottle of the magnesium for traveling. My husband has a little kit with a couple of aspirin, motrin etc that he carries, but there are only about 4 of 5 pills in it and those are clearly stamped with what they are.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing Prescription Meds to GC

I absolutely agree. Bring prescription bottles and smaller bottles of supplements when travelling anywhere.

God forbid you need to go to a hospital......would be nice to have your prescriptions handy.

I also keep a list of my prescription meds on my phone. Or you could take a photo of each label. Why not?

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,178 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing Prescription Meds to GC

I take lots of pills daily and have always only had my weekly container with me. I carry it in my purse, I have never been stopped or questioned. Many pill bottles takes up space. Keeping a list of your meds is handy, I like the idea of a photo though.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,679 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing Prescription Meds to GC

I print the list from the pharmacy. I bring pills in the daily plastic thingie, but I also bring bottles because we stay for a longer time......never been questioned about my pills

NJ
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing Prescription Meds to GC

I would not bring big bottles - traveling a lot with my weekly container of vitamins and prescription meds . But I like the idea to keep picture of original bottles on a phone - just in case. Thanks for suggestion! I never had a thought about my loose pills before.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing Prescription Meds to GC

I think it depends on how many you take daily. We're all probably in similar situation. I'm on the 2x day lots of pills routine ;) and used to bring each individual bottle. Then I went to placing all day pills in one prescription bottle and all night in another(ending up with a mess to sort). Finally I went to using the 'day of week' plastic containers for travel and bringing one prescription bottle(to prove it's all legal I guess LOL). I am going to do as suggested and take photos of the pill bottles as a backup next time. If I have to bring a narcotic I do bring that bottle with the pills in it because it's usually a small bottle anyway.

hudson valley
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing Prescription Meds to GC

TSA rules specifically say that drugs don't have to be labeled, though they recommend it. In fact, the TSA website even says they don't search for illegal drugs, but if they find what they think might be illegal drugs they'll refer it to law enforcement for further investigation. You can find stories of travelers being questioned for such perfectly legal things as carrying large sums of cash, but anyone carrying more than several hundred bucks is unusual and does make you stand out from the crowd. I'd guess that a significant majority of those over 50 travel with some meds, and that it would take something fairly unusual to pique their interest.

As retrip notes, it's entering a foreign country that really matters. I've never had a customs officer do anything more than a very cursory inspection, but there's always the chance they'll find medications. If they do, they may have concerns because they're a controlled substance (or because they can't identify them, though I'd expect they'd have a PDR or similar resource). I'd be extremely surprised if you had any real difficulty with 1 or 2 weeks worth of pills in a weekly pill pack, but being prepared is the wisest choice. Though it's the safest choice I probably wouldn't bring all of the bottles, but the idea of having pictures of the bottles is good and I'd guess it's probably sufficient. If you check with your pharmacy it's possible they could print a set of labels, though I wouldn't be surprised if that turns out to be a federal crime. The one thing I definitely wouldn't do is put any meds in a container with a label for a different drug, since there's a chance somebody might view it as a deliberate effort to conceal or misidentify them.

If your meds include any kind of narcotic painkillers I'd definitely bring documentation, as those are a bigger concern than things like cholesterol meds or beta-blockers.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bringing Prescription Meds to GC

Thank you all for the valuable information. I wanted to be safe rather than sorry, given that we are traveling internationally.

I suffer from migraines, and have to take several different medications three times daily. I think I'll take the route of putting my meds in the 1 week pill box, and photographing the pill bottles on my phone.

Thanks again for all of your helpfulness!

9. Re: Bringing Prescription Meds to GC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 05:16