We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grouper

New Jersey
Level Contributor
181 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
grouper

I would love to see a grouper while snorkeling in Grand Cayman this summer. How common are they here and can I see one snorkeling or do you need to dive to see one? Thanks.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,761 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grouper

See them quite regularly snorkeling off the North Side. Most are rather wary of humans due to their being fished.

hudson valley
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: grouper

To a large extent you can see the same things snorkeling as diving. It's just a question of how closely you'll see them, since the vast majority (if not all) of your snorkeling will be at, or very close to, the surface.

The Nassau Grouper (that's the one in my avatar) is sort of the archetype for groupers. They used to be fairly common, but have been depleted as a result of fishing.Their depth range starts at about 20'. Some of the other groupers have a depth range that starts at about 10', and a couple can be found at even shallower depths. That means that there's a decent chance of seeing some groupers, but probably not at very close distances. They may not be on your list, but as a snorkeler you'll probably be more likely than a diver to see needle fish, which often swim right at the surface. I'm fairly sure I've seen squid more frequently while snorkeling, too.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,699 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: grouper

Saw one snorkelling off Eden Rock in George Town this week. They have been seen off North West Point on snorkels, too.

4. Re: grouper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman