We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing Snorkel Gear

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
335 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Purchasing Snorkel Gear

I am looking at purchasing 2 sets of this http://www.amazon.ca/Phantom-Aquatics-Adult-Mask-Snorkel/dp/B00A1R264A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1398994207&sr=8-4&keywords=snorkel+gear for our trip to Rum Point seeing as renting would likely cost around the same.

My question is, would we be better off at purchasing something similar there? That way we can try them on first and would only have to worry about packing them in our luggage for one flight and not both. Any advice?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
382 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Purchasing Snorkel Gear

Thanks T-Brit - I will check those out. Grazie!

hudson valley
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Purchasing Snorkel Gear

"manufactures put a film on the inside of the mask to keep it from getting scratched during assembly. The toothpaste gently washes off the film. "

Perhaps some manufacturers deliberately apply a protective film, but all new masks come with an unintentional film from residue that's deposited as a result of the manufacturing process. The silicone rubber that most mask skirts are made of will offgas a chemical residue for quite some time after being manufactured (anyone who's been in a fairly new car after it was closed up on a hot day has encountered the result of this process). Those chemicals aren't particularly soluble in typical cleaning agents, so the purpose of cleaning a new mask is to use mechanical action to remove whatever film or residue is on the lens. As soon as the residue is removed from any part of the lens it will be exposed to whatever you do to it. If the lens is plastic and isn't protected by a suitably resistant coating it will scratch fairly easily.

"Scouring and Abrasive are your words"

They're words that accurately describe what you're doing when you rub the lens with toothpaste. Toothpaste is suggested precisely because it is a mild abrasive, and you're using it to *scrape* the residue off of the lens. If you're unconvinced you can rub a tiny bit of your own toothpaste between your fingers.

Maybe all manufacturers of $25 or $30 masks with plastic lenses use a hard coating that provides sufficient resistance to scratching, and the warnings are (now) just an old wives tale. I have no objections if anybody wants to use their new mask for experimentation to determine if the warnings are valid.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Purchasing Snorkel Gear

When without my sea drops for anti-fogging, I smear toothpaste on the inside glass of my mask and rinse it off before donning. Works we'll for me and have not yet damaged the lenses. Of course, ymmv.

14. Re: Purchasing Snorkel Gear

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 May 2014, 15:35
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
382 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Purchasing Snorkel Gear

Steve - I was just reiterating what the Dive Master at the Scuba shop told me to do with the new $50-$60 Dive masks I bought for my family. You're probably correct that a cheap plastic model would get scratched up by toothpaste. Our new masks worked better than any we have used in prior years btw.

hudson valley
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Purchasing Snorkel Gear

"$50-$60 Dive masks "

Plastic seems to be limited to the least expensive masks available, so I'd *guess* that virtually all masks costing $50 or more have glass lenses. Some expensive masks with curved lenses are probably exceptions, but the cost presumably means they're more likely to be coated lenses.

I'd *hope* that the salespeople in a dive shop will know which masks have plastic lenses. At the very least, if you scratched a plastic lens after a reputable shop told you to use toothpaste they'd hopefully replace it for you.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Purchasing Snorkel Gear

Well I don't think I'll be going for the Amazon set. It'll either be buy when we get there or this travel combo here:

https:/…PID484_APID798_EN.html

I'm just not sure what to do.

Edited: 04 May 2014, 00:26
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Purchasing Snorkel Gear

Well we went with the Buddy package. :)

https:/…PID228_APID405_EN.html

Minnesota
Level Contributor
186 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Purchasing Snorkel Gear

We have this snorkle set and I really like it. I ordered it from here also! Have fun!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Purchasing Snorkel Gear

I'm glad to hear that!! 6 more days!