We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August weather and crowd in Grand Caymen

houston tx
Level Contributor
260 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
August weather and crowd in Grand Caymen

Hi,

We are planning a trip to Grand Cayment mid August. We will be staying on Seven Mile Beach. Hoping you can provide some insight on typical weather in August and how crowded mid August tents to be with visitors.

Thank you!

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,822 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August weather and crowd in Grand Caymen

Hot, humid, steamy with ( usual ) daily passing thunderstorms, in our experience. Not very crowded compared to other months but I would still make dinner reservations if there is a popular spot you plan to visit. You can do that on the same day, not really necessary to reserve far in advance in August.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: August weather and crowd in Grand Caymen

By travel insurance as August is peak Hurricane Season.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August weather and crowd in Grand Caymen

We've visited in August for many years. Roughly out of 10 visits, only two weren't the greatest. One week we had rainfall that was horrible so we just watched movies, went to movies and played games quite a bit. The other time it was a matter of a possible hurricane hitting the day after our scheduled departure. Even with tickets it was a miserable exit but I've read things are handled a little more efficiently now--and hopefully I won't have to witness it! Overall, we like the August trips because it's not as busy. I do check cruise ship schedule not because I fear being overrun at the beach but to time it with outings to town, dolphin swims, etc.. We only ran into one restaurant being closed as they were on vacation at the same time as our week. Depending on how many are in your party for dinner reservations, you can usually just reserve the same day. We're not brunch fans so I won't advise on when's best to book one.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,629 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August weather and crowd in Grand Caymen

Not saying travel insurance isn't a good but the peak month of hurricanes is September not August. In fact, on average there are roughly the same number of severe weather events in October as there are in August.

I'm down in August fairly regularly and, while hot and humid are good descriptions, the lack of visitors makes the island more quiet than at other times.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,822 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August weather and crowd in Grand Caymen

Yes, Hurricane Mitch ( October ) did considerable damage to the complexes along the northwest coast of Grand Cayman and the horrific, island wide damage from Hurricane Ivan

( September) defies description. If interested, you can see and learn more about Ivan in Courtney Platt's pictorial book with narrative , " Paradise Interrupted ".

We left the island the day before Ivan hit and it was madness.

PA
Level Contributor
571 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: August weather and crowd in Grand Caymen

We love going in August and are going again this year during that month....as mentioned, it is a bit hotter, a bit more humid and a lot less crowded.

We stay on the East End, and the tradewinds are a glorious relief and the water is bath water...perfect. :)

7. Re: August weather and crowd in Grand Caymen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2016, 21:30
ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: August weather and crowd in Grand Caymen

We go the end of July or first of August now. It's hot, but the winds are wonderful! The water perfect! we stay on East End. It's much better than being at home with hot, humid weather in my opinion!!

houston tx
Level Contributor
260 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: August weather and crowd in Grand Caymen

Thanks everyone! We are from Houston so use to hot and humid in August.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
3,857 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: August weather and crowd in Grand Caymen

The big difference is that you have the Caribbean to soak yourself in, and that feels VERY good!

Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman