We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In and around Discovery Point Club

Seneca, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
In and around Discovery Point Club

Hi there! Heading to GC in less than a month. Our first trip and we're super excited. We are staying 2 weeks at a condo at Discovery Point Club. Can you tell me about it if you've stayed there? Are there places around within walking distance? (ie restaurants, clubs, stores, etc) I really didn't want to rent a car for two weeks as we'll only be traveling to other parts of the island a few times to go to places like Stingray City, etc., however, if there is nothing around this condo, perhaps I should rent a car. Five in our family - myself, my husband and our kids (22yo d, 13 yo s, 11yo s). Any recommendations are appreciated very much!

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,641 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In and around Discovery Point Club

It's a beautiful part of Seven Mile Beach, that's for sure. I would rent a car, though, which makes it a lot easier to pick up groceries, or go the different restaurants. That area of the beach isn't very built-up as far as shops, clubs, etc (which is the trade-off for getting a really nice part of the beach).

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,556 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In and around Discovery Point Club

Have you seen the caymangoodtaste.com website? They have descriptions and menus for most restaurants along with a detailed interactive map so you can see where your condo is in relation to restaurants.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,828 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In and around Discovery Point Club

We stayed there and always took a car to wherever we went.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,629 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In and around Discovery Point Club

Nice place to stay but you do need to have a rental car. Not a really long drive to grocery store, restaurants, but not a short easy walk even for people like my husband and me who walk miles everyday.

Seneca, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In and around Discovery Point Club

Thanks so much, All! We'll definitely get a car and just hope we don't injure ourselves or others trying to figure out the left side driving! I think we'll prefer having to drive rather than staying in the busier section

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,641 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In and around Discovery Point Club

That's the same conclusion that many come to - this makes it easier to be in the busier part when you want to, but retreat to a quieter spot when you are done for the day.

Most people don't find driving to be that bad - the speed limit is at most 40mph on nearly all the island, and there is almost never a need to overtake. Having a spotter with you to look for signs while the driv can focus on road position, etc for the first time or two helps a lot.

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In and around Discovery Point Club

Also, the public busses (actually, mini vans) run up and down West Bay Road and only cost $2.50US. You (and or your children) might want to use it to get to some activities in West Bay and along Seven Mile Beach without needing to drive:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147365-i261-k5532…

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,629 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In and around Discovery Point Club

You will take to the driving quickly. Most find turning on windshield wipers rather than directional signal the biggest challenge!

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,041 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In and around Discovery Point Club

" as we'll only be traveling to other parts of the island a few times to go to places like Stingray City "

While there is much to see driving to the other parts of Grand Cayman, Stingray City ( or Sandbar ) is not one of them. It is a water based attraction which requires you to take a boat excursion with one of the many operators on the island.

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: In and around Discovery Point Club

As Kiddos said, Sting Ray City and Sting Ray Sandbar are both in the North Sound, so you can’t drive there. Some excursion operators will pick you up at your condo/hotel on SMB, some only pick up at hotels on SMB, and some require you to provide your own transportation to a dock/pier on the North Sound. You need to read each excursion info in detail to determine whether you will need a car to get to your preferred excursion to see the Sting Rays.

Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman