We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inexpensive restaurants

3ml
Florida
Level Contributor
71 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Inexpensive restaurants

Heading to Caymans for the First time. We are staying at the Marriott. Have a lot of restaurants marked, but looking for the inexpensive ones for breakfast and lunch sometimes. What are your favorite inexpensive restaurants?

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Inexpensive restaurants

You have lots of choices close to you...Chicken!Chicken! (Rotisserie chicken and sides), Cimboco (great value with a varied menu at reasonable prices and a $5 breakfast), Coconut Joes (pub food that I wouldn't write home about but cool they way it is built around a tree with really good 2 for 1 drink specials each day), and a new one Peppers that I haven't actually. tried yet. Royal Palms just down the beach has also stepped up their food lately and is quite reasonable. XQs is a close walk as well serving yummy pizza with early happy hour prices before 6. Lots more a bit further walk but that should be a good start.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inexpensive restaurants

This may sound weird but is definitely well priced

Kirk supermarket is not too far from the Marriott & they have great take out. You will see locals loading up at their cold salad/fruit bar on one side of the store. Always top quality. On the other side of the store is the hot buffet which includes all sorts of goodies, even patties. Pick up some cold drinks on your way out & you will have an inexpensive delicious meal. And the opportunity to peruse the local market.

Great for breakfast and/or lunch and save $$$ for dinner out.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inexpensive restaurants

The rotisserie chicken at Fosters Grocery store is good too

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inexpensive restaurants

I agree with Cayman I about Chicken! Chicken! and the Royal Palms. Haven't been to the others.

Will you have a car? If so, then I would add Macabuca to the list. If you want down-home Caymanian dishes, try Welly's Cool Spot. TIki Beach will do some nice lunches too. You also have Dukes, and Eats. And there there are the jerk stands south of George Town.

You can check out the menus for most of these places at caymangoodtaste.com

Edited: 26 May 2014, 18:14
3ml
Florida
Level Contributor
71 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inexpensive restaurants

Thank u everyone one I will save these to my list! We will have a car and planned to stop by the store from the airport for water, etc but not sure if the rooms have mini fridges or not!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inexpensive restaurants

I suggest that you call the hotel directly to enquire rather than be surprised. Perhaps they can arrange for you to rent a fridge if they do not provide one. You certainly won't be the first to ask....

3ml
Florida
Level Contributor
71 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inexpensive restaurants

Does anyone know what foods cannot be packed in luggage to take over to Cayman's?

Was thinking of packing the snaks that are light that we like and just bring them with us. But was not sure about customs.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inexpensive restaurants

We have been known to bring snacks & even Easter candy with no problem. If the Customs officer asks, say it's for your personal use. I'd he doesn't ask, don't tell. You should be able to buy all of your favorite snacks at the supermarkets. We have never had a problem, even with different cereals etc.

You may also want to try Macabuca on Monday night for their all-you-can-eat BBQ....CI$17....quite a deal and you gotta love the setting!

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inexpensive restaurants

In terms of bringing things in, from a legal standpoint you should refer to the official site at www.customs.gov.ky/portal/page… which currently states:

"An Import Permit must be obtained from the Cayman Islands Department of Agriculture prior to importing any live animal, bird, fish, plant or plant and meat product into the Cayman Islands. An inspection certificate from the country of origin must accompany these species/products. [...]

For more information on the import/export of plants, meats and live animals contact Cayman Islands Department of Agriculture PH:(345) 947 3090, Fax (345) 947 2634 or Agriculture Dept. Airport Inspections Office, PH-(345) 949 7909, Fax (345) 945 2267, P.O. Box 459 GT.

* Failure to make a full declaration is an offence and can result in the forfeiture of the goods, fines and / or imprisonment."

Just so you know what the law is. How much this is enforced, of course, is going to vary.

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inexpensive restaurants

CI custom rules state that you must "declare" all food items (perishable or not) that you bring into the country.

From the Top Questions on the right:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147365-i261-k4117…

When I travelled to GC last fall, I brought peanut butter, breakfast bars, etc. for an entire month and had no problem bringing them onto the island (of course, I did declare them).

Edited: 27 May 2014, 14:31