We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfare from SFO?

Level Contributor
132 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Airfare from SFO?

We're thinking of going to GC next March. We'll be flying from San Francisco (SFO), but I have no idea what a good price is for airfare or frequent flyer miles. Any ballpark number what a reasonably priced ticket should be from SFO, and/or how many flyer miles? Right now (which is 10 months in advance...too early in my experience to get a good rate), it's showing about $750 pp or 35K AAmiles (or USAir miles). Thanks...way in advance. :-)

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
UK
Level Contributor
611 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfare from SFO?

Sounds about right, I think if you take a red-eye, you might save a little.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfare from SFO?

Assuming a 7-night stay, cheapest fare is $580 on Mondays in March, SFO-ATL-GCM on Delta. $600 Available on Sundays, $610 on most Fridays

Cheapest AA routing is on every Mon, Tue, Wed in March at $590 and is a 2-stop, SFO-ORD-MIA-GCM

35k Miles is a standard MilesAAver (or however it's branded now) award and represents fairly good value. If you don't use your miles for international premium cabin travel, it's not a bad way to spend them

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfare from SFO?

If you're thinking of using your FF miles, I wouldn't wait too long to book your flights, especially if you need more than one ticket. As we all know, FF seats are becoming more difficult to get and if you need to do multiple flights (routing mentioned above seems to indicate that), you may find that seats will only become available for some, but not all of your flights. You may need to show some flexibility on dates, especially traveling during high season..

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,087 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfare from SFO?

I do not know if option to fly AA from SFO-MIA-GCM still exists, but several years back our daughter was in SF and decided to meet us for vacation time on Grand Cayman. She took AA red eye to MIA where she had a comfortable span of time to freshen up in the Admiral's Club before making her AA connection to GCM and claimed it was an easy and relaxing journey.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfare from SFO?

There are 7 days in March when you can begin a SFO-MIA-GCM trip for the $615-640 range, other days are $690 or $700+. The easiest routing appears to be SFO-MIA-GCM on the way out and GCM-CLT-SFO on the return

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airfare from SFO?

FWIW, although the cost of flights across the US often drop over time, the cost of flights to Grand Cayman (especially during high season) rarely go down and most often go up. I have generally found the best rates 8-10 months out.

Level Contributor
132 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airfare from SFO?

Wow everyone, thanks! I usually book flights 3-6 months ahead, because some destinations fluctuate in price quite a bit. Sounds like GC is pretty consistent. We actually like red-eye flights so we arrive on vacation "early"! :-)

I'm hoping we can use our FF or at least use for upgrades, great idea.

Will definitely look into the SFO-MIA-GCM and CLT return routes. BTW, sajidgidda is there a website that you use for the flight info, seems very helpful.

Thanks again!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airfare from SFO?

I used ITA Matrix to find the best fare combinations, my main reason for using it is the flexibility of scheduling as it shows every option. In this case, I simply put 'SFO SJC' as the From, and 'GCM' as the Destination. I removed all airlines except for AA/US from the search page and this was the result. You can put down the 1st of March as your departure date and then select the option to show prices for 30 consecutive days and you'll have a calendar of March fares within seconds

To book, just call up AA and quote the flight numbers at them, or find them yourself on the website using the flight numbers and timings for reference

Minnesota
Level Contributor
187 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airfare from SFO?

I booked my flight 3 months in advance and got them for $188 (without taxes) from MN. For 6 tickets it only came to about $1800!!!! I always book my international flights closer to the date of travel.

10. Re: Airfare from SFO?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2015, 05:17