We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Price Wars

Florham Park, New...
Level Contributor
100 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental Price Wars

i do not know how much this is the case, but, i was just informed by my condo management of 'price wars' going on between rental car agencies on grand cayman. so for example, i booked my car rental for mid july (of 2014) this week when i will be on the island for five days for 175 for an economy car, only to find out that the same car through Thrifty was 102 for the same five day period. and the same company that i booked with, has a special, through june, for 110 for the same car. my point is that visitors may wish to check various car rental companies to determine the best price, if the concern is price only. ive used marshalls and avis and have been well satisfied with both, so if if came to a much lower price, like in this situation, 65 per week, i would use the less expensive agency. this price war is going on between certain car rental agencies apparently and may not impact your normal rental car agency, but, this is leaving rates very volatile and constantly changing.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,798 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Price Wars

We usually check the prices and then book something for the time frame we need. I then keep checking to see if there are lower rates, even with a different agency. If there is, I book the lower rate and then always cancel the original reservation so as to not tie up a car that someone else might want. Sometimes, at busy periods, there can be a shortage of cars so IMO it is unfair to hole multiple reservations for the same time frame. We have used different agencies in GC and never had a bad experience with any of them.

Florham Park, New...
Level Contributor
100 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Price Wars

yes nor would I. this car price war is not during the periods when the island is busiest that is during the high season, but apparently off season. in fact, as per my original reservation, I did not cancel as my condo management would have been charged by the credit card company, so I left it at that, but in the future, I will shop around, if im traveling off season, for a lower rate as the price difference is quite significant.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,088 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Price Wars

When you request a quote, be sure to get an *all-in* price that includes all taxes etc etc.

4. Re: Car Rental Price Wars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman