We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkel VS Scuba

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkel VS Scuba

It's not really in our budget to become scuba certified at this time in our lives as we are raising three children. Can you fully experience Grand Cayman with only snorkeling or do we need to sell some of our household belongings to make scuba happen while we are in Grand Cayman? My next question is, once we are certified to we need to try to make scuba trips frequently so that our skills remain current? Thank you!

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Snorkel VS Scuba

Agree with smushie's comments about not having to lay out tons of money for equipment, but equipment costs are only part of the expense. For golf, greens fees and cart rentals vary depending on the course, but even at municipal courses, it can be more than some people can afford on a regular basis. Not everyone has the luxury of being able to ski 50-60 days a year, which makes it cost effective with a season pass (but even those can cost considerably more than $500, depending on the mountain). For those who are limited to being "weekend warriors", and don't have easy access to a ski slope, the expenses of daily lift tickets (even discounted ones), transportation plus possibly lodging, meals , etc., it can become very expensive. IMO, the same can be said with diving. There's a lot of lakes, rivers, and quarries that might be great, but there's a lot that are so polluted I wouldn't even stick my toe in and the visibility is so bad, what could you possibly see? Again if you have to figure in all of your costs associated with getting some place decent to dive, it ads up.

To be good at any sport, you have to be able to do it more than just once in awhile, so I think the OP needs to look at how much she will be able to dive in the next few years while raising a family and see if it makes more sense to wait to get certified and just do a resort course or stick to snorkeling while n GC.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Snorkel VS Scuba

ALL of you guys are wonderful and I really appreciate you taking a few minutes out of your day to respond to my question. I think that the Discover Scuba sounds like the PERFECT option for our trip! Thank you to those of you who also gave options for websites and/or snorkeling blogs. I appreciate the experienced divers who really informed me on the need to make frequent dive trips once you are certified. That might have to wait until the kids are out of the house. Thank you ALL!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Snorkel VS Scuba

Robyn -- don't wait for them to get out of the house, just old enough to dive with you!! Then you cut back on the price of kids camps and sitters while you are diving. My kids grew up diving with us and now that they are adults with their own lives it is a passion that we all share. We have done some wonderful trips to the GBR and Galapagos which we have shared as a family and have made some of the best family memories of our lives on those adventures which we now share together!

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Snorkel VS Scuba

We have diving friends who have two kids and their goal is to get their kids junior certified at the earliest possible time, so that they can have family vacations with diving. The kids are absolutely loving it so far - they are hard to get out of the water anyway. The youngest did a "resort dive" with InDepth Watersports the last time they were on Cayman, just to see if she liked it, and now she can't wait to get junior certified. Once that is done, they can dive as a four - each parent buddies with one of the kids. They rent their equipment each place they go (which helps as the kids grow), investing only in a dive computer each, so it's something with which they are familiar.

So you do have that option to consider.

NH
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Snorkel VS Scuba

After "discovering scuba" several times my DH finally was certified last year. (He is in his 60s.) I, on the other hand, am very happy snorkeling and have no "deep" need to dive "deep".

On a recent vacation to the Turks he "scuba-ed" and I snorkeled. I saw sharks while snorkeling! ...My DH saw just about everything else that the ocean houses but he never saw (even) one shark on any of his six dives.

My grandmother (God rest her soul) used to say, "you can't miss what you never had." ...There's truth and wisdom in her words. I don't miss scuba a bit!

16. Re: Snorkel VS Scuba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 June 2014, 20:36
17. Re: Snorkel VS Scuba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2015, 05:15