We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going in late Sept for 1st time and have a hotel question

albany
Level Contributor
219 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Going in late Sept for 1st time and have a hotel question

I took advantage of the great deal that Jet Blue is running so now I need to book a room. I don't know much about the island but I figure if I am near Seven Mile Beach I can't go too wrong. I'm curious about three different properties. Sunshine Suites and Comfort Suites. Both seem to be near the beach. and also about the Holiday Inn. I see that is not near Seven Mile but is it in the middle of nowhere. Are there any restaurant/bars near by or would be have to drive places. We don't mind driving, but walking is much better. I see a lot of good things about Sunshine Suites but would there be any reason to choose Comfort Suites instead or for that matter the Holiday Inn where it would probably cost me $300 less due to a friends and family rate. They seem to get some good reviews as well. Appreciate the help.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going in late Sept for 1st time and have a hotel question

Take a look at google maps. The Holiday Inn is not on SMB. It is on the North Sound and you would most definitely need to drive anywhere.....there is nothing near it. The Comfort Suites is near the Marriott and the beach there is not what I would call ideal. If nothing else is available, IMO it would be *ok* but not great. Sunshine Suites, while across the street from SMB, gets fabulous reviews. I have not stayed there, but can tell you that the beach there is fabulous! (and you can definitely walk there). People like the fact that the rooms have kitchenettes and the restaurant there is extremely popular.

If I had to choose among the three, I'd definitely choose Sunshine Suites.

Good for you for grabbing JetBlue's great fare!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,388 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going in late Sept for 1st time and have a hotel question

Sunshine Suites gets my vote. I haven't stayed there, but go to Sunshine Grille regularly. The area around the pool and grounds are kept up beautifully. If that is any reflection on the rooms you cannot go wrong. I like that part of SMB better too.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Going in late Sept for 1st time and have a hotel question

I third the vote for Sunshine Suites. I also suggest checking on vrbo.com for one bedroom condos. In Sept you can likely get some good deals of 7th night free or even 6th and 7th nights free. Enjoy Cayman!

Crowley, Texas
Level Contributor
344 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going in late Sept for 1st time and have a hotel question

I agree completely with Caman1. Of those you mentioned, Sunshine Suites would be my choice due to higher quality beach and the presence of Sunshine Grill - one of my favorite casual place to eat in GC. But.... if you can find an off-season rate in a beach condo, the experience of staying right on the beach will be worth a little extra if you can justify the cost.

nyc
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Going in late Sept for 1st time and have a hotel question

Ist timer as well. I'm looking at a late August/ early September to Caymans. I need advice! Do I need a Car? I like to beach hop so what are the nicest beaches for snorkeling, swimming etc..I'd like to stay on SMB. We're a couple in our 30's who prefer smaller boutique hotels or condos. Within walking distance to bars/ casual restaurants would be ideal. What part of the SMB should look to stay at?

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Going in late Sept for 1st time and have a hotel question

For walking distance to shops and restaurants, you are better off to be in the central or southern section of Seven Mile Beach. Great time of year to visit for some good deals. Keep in mind it is the height of hurricane season though so trip insurance is a good idea.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going in late Sept for 1st time and have a hotel question

I recommend mid (or central SMB) and IMO a condo is a far better deal than a hotel. You have the advantage of a full kitchen (for breakfast, perhaps lunch, & cocktails) which can greatly reduce your daily expenditures. I would look at Lacovia, Colonial Club, Islands Club, & Casa Carib for smaller complexes. Caribbean CLub, Beachcomber, Coralstone Club for somewhat larger more upscale condos. None are shabby.....all are top rated by the Dept of Tourism. Most condos offer daily maid service, Sunshine Suites is sort of in between a hotel and a condo, with a kitchenette.

8. Re: Going in late Sept for 1st time and have a hotel question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 01:48
nyc
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Going in late Sept for 1st time and have a hotel question

Thanks! Some of the central SMB hotels are pretty pricey. I was looking at a few northern beach areas. White Sands I think? How is the Northern area? Are the beaches just as nice? How far is the drive from the North side to the bar's and restaurants.

Thanks!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,859 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going in late Sept for 1st time and have a hotel question

The beach in front of White Sands is wonderful with plenty of shade. I would definitely suggest renting a car, even if it's just for a few days. Otherwise, the bus runs frequently during the day and early evening.

Check out www.caymangoodtaste.com for an excellent interactive map listing restuarants along with descriptions, menus and prices.