We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkel Equipment

Dallas, Texas
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Snorkel Equipment

We (family of 4) plan on snorkeling at several different places on the island. Should we bring our own snorkel equipment or should we rent it at each place? Just wondering which is more economical?

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,368 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkel Equipment

Bringing your own will be less expensive. And you will always have a well-fitted mask, as nothing can ruin a snorkel trip worse than a leaky mask.

hudson valley
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkel Equipment

If you rent just do it once for the entire stay. Renting each time is a waste of your time and drives up the cost.

There's a lot to be said for owning your own gear, but the initial outlay will probably be more expensive, and there's the question of how often you'll get to go snorkeling. Some people get by with very inexpensive stuff, but you can also spend a couple of hundred bucks per person. There have to be a few dive shops fairly close by in Dallas, so you could start by taking a look at what's available. You can also find inexpensive gear at many sporting goods stores, and even places like Costco. Some people have success simply ordering online, but the best way to get a mask that fits well and doesn't leak is to have help from a knowledgeable salesperson.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,639 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkel Equipment

If you have your own equipment, then I would strongly recommend bringing it. Apart from making sure that you have a well-fitting mask, you can also be certain that the only person that has put the mouthpiece in their mouth is you....

If you do not own equipment yet, but are considering buying, I have had much better experiences with trying a mask on for fit before buying. I wouldn't buy my first mask online for that reason.

Maine, United States
Level Contributor
10 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkel Equipment

We bought the mask stateside and brought it with us. We rented fins on the Cayman islands for the duration of our stay. We stayed in the Rum Point area and use White Sand Water Sports to rent the fins but I am sure there are other shops that will rent fins for the week as well.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,639 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkel Equipment

You may find that the place you are staying can rent you equipment - some have it at no charge,

Dallas, Texas
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkel Equipment

Thank you all for your input! I really appreciate it! It sounds like it would be best for us to bring our own equipment.

7. Re: Snorkel Equipment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 23:16
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman