We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"holiday autos" Im so mad i could cry

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
"holiday autos" Im so mad i could cry

Please be aware of this company. I booked a car with sixt through them, in April, and I don't know call it instinct but I phoned there number in cayman on Monday only to be told that sixt no longer have offices at the airport. I immediately phoned sixt uk who said that they cancelled my booking in May because they had pulled out of the caymans, well I felt physically sick, no one had informed us. I phoned holiday autos who said that they had no knowledge of the cancellation. They just wouldn't listen and kept repeating that it was still booked. To cut a very very long story short, we had no car and are travelling next week!! Holiday autos did not give a damn, they were un helpful and when I phoned again they told me there was no cars left with their company, so tough luck. They said that's all they could do was eventually give a refund, so this means I have had to fork out for another car which being so near has cost us £60 more. I have managed to book with thrifty, never used them before so keeping fingers crossed. I am so angry with them if I hadn't have phoned we would have turned up at the airport with no car , these people are heartless, and just in It for the money. Wow I do feel a bit better for writing this all down, but please be aware, I wouldn't want any one to go through all this.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "holiday autos" Im so mad i could cry

Sorry for your luck. Thrifty is fine, so no worries. Explain to them your situation and maybe they will cut you a deal on the cost.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,755 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "holiday autos" Im so mad i could cry

It might not hurt to shop around. I used kayak.com and got a car for $9/day that I've been driving around for the past month.

PA
Level Contributor
571 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: "holiday autos" Im so mad i could cry

So sorry for the trouble...but we've used Thrifty many times and never had any trouble, nor lines. They are right across the street from the airport and the cars are fine. We had a rather old one in June, but it worked fine for us. They've also had the best prices for the last few years.

It'll all work out and you're going to a place many just dream about....ENJOY! :)

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "holiday autos" Im so mad i could cry

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feed back, your right We have saved hard for this holiday and boy are we going to enjoy it!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "holiday autos" Im so mad i could cry

Are they the ones with Ronnie Corbett doing the adverts? Glad you're sorted with Thrifty, try and nail HA to the wall when you get back home

6. Re: "holiday autos" Im so mad i could cry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 July 2014, 15:35
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: "holiday autos" Im so mad i could cry

Just be aware that none of the telephone numbers on the Thrifty paperwork - including the "emergency" number are answered at night. I spent a good deal of last night with a flat tire by the side of the road between Camana Bay and Eastern Avenue getting eaten by mosquitos and calling the numbers that Thrifty doesn't answer. There was a spare in the trunk but no jack. I finally had to ride it on the flat just to get somewhere that I could ask around to find out if anyone had a jack. Once they get your credit card auth, the Thrifty people don't care what happens to you.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,755 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "holiday autos" Im so mad i could cry

Just for future reference, the jacks in those little compact cars are often in the engine compartment.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "holiday autos" Im so mad i could cry

Thanks nice to know, considering whether to take out extra insurance for flat tyres etc. but rethinking is it worth It !!!!

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "holiday autos" Im so mad i could cry

when in Cayman we decline the CDW but do take the 3rd person liability. Our credit card covers the CDW

Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman