We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

other beaches besides 7 mile beach

Orange County...
Level Contributor
97 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
other beaches besides 7 mile beach

Hi friends, thinking about the Grand Caymans Marriott next summer. We will be using some points to help the cost. My husband prefers more remote/less touristy stuff but we have no choose since we are using points. So with that in mind, if we stay on the seven mile beach just wondering if there are any quietier beaches that are beautiful that we can go to for the day and hang out there? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: other beaches besides 7 mile beach

All the beaches are public and while hotels and condos pretty much maintain their facilities for their paying guests, other beaches like Rum Point etc will have cruise ship visitors. While presently the Marriott beach has been a bit cramped, they are doing a remodel Hopefully if this includes cutting back on the huge pool/restaurant deck they built out onto their beach, you will have plenty of room there anyway.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: other beaches besides 7 mile beach

A couple of other beaches to check out are: Cemetary Beach, Smith Cove in South Sound and Rum Point as Retrip mentioned.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,474 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: other beaches besides 7 mile beach

Spotts Beach is another often overlooked good option.

Edited: 21 July 2014, 23:16
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: other beaches besides 7 mile beach

I agree with Retrip's that currently the Marriott's beach is not what you picture an island resort beach. They are closed for major renovations early this fall so the hope is that they will address this issue. I would suggest either Smiths Cove (to the south of George Town) or Cemetery Beach to the north. Decent snorkeling from the beach at both. Fosters supermarket has a location very close to Cemetery so you easily get snacks, drinks etc.

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
225 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: other beaches besides 7 mile beach

Question about Smith Cove. We were there this morning and were surprised by the rough surf at the entry. We went in anyway, and the visibility was terrible, probably due to the surges. A snorkeler was heading back up to the beach, so I asked him how it was farther out. He said there was a fairly strong current helping you get out, but it was hard swimming for a little ways getting back in. Given what I had read on TA, and from the recommendation by our excursion captain yesterday, not at all what I was expecting. We just Ieft and went back to our condo and the beach there. Were those abnormal conditions? Or do you always have to swim through strong swells to get to the reef?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,865 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: other beaches besides 7 mile beach

Asking if current water conditions are typical is like asking if current weather is typical (i.e. It isn't 78 and sunny with a 2-5mph breeze every day and the current, waves and wind determine sea conditions on any given day). If the weather is choppy I would go elsewhere and save that side of the island for another day.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,228 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: other beaches besides 7 mile beach

Check which way the wind is blowing and go to the opposite side of the island.

Virginia
Level Contributor
563 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: other beaches besides 7 mile beach

Eloracm, we had a similar experience at Cemetery Beach yesterday morning (Thurs). I had read about the possibility of currents there, and about the long swim out to the reef, but had no clue that the water would be so murky. It did improve further out, but still remained a little cloudy. There was not a strong wind at all, and the water was not choppy, so we had not clue until we entered the water that it was unclear. Thanks for the heads up about Smith's, we were likely headed there in the morning.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: other beaches besides 7 mile beach

Sites like Smith's Cove can change from day-to-day. I have been there when it was very murky and days when it has been crystal clear. I don't think that I have ever had any real current going on there, though.

I find it best to ask the locals who are connected with the water - dive shops, boat ops, etc, where the best water conditions are on the day for a snorkel - they definitely have local experience.

10. Re: other beaches besides 7 mile beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2015, 05:15