We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seven Mile condos with snorkeling?

md
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Topic
Seven Mile condos with snorkeling?

Just got back from St. John (3rd trip) and we are ready to try something new. Grand Cayman is at the top of the list for 2015. We are looking for beachfront with snorkeling - do the Merdian, Beachcomber or Caribbean Club have snorkeling off the beach at all? Are there other condo complexes we should be considering or are these the nicer choices?

Thanks for any info & advice! I'm new to the Grand Cayman search and I appreciate any input!

Kristi

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Beachcomber Grand Cayman
Beachcomber Grand Cayman
283 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Caribbean Club Luxury Boutique Hotel
Caribbean Club Luxury...
644 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Seven Mile condos with snorkeling?

You won't find good snorkeling in the middle of Seven Mile Beach.

rjf
LA
Level Contributor
221 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seven Mile condos with snorkeling?

We just got back after a week on Seven mile beach. We stayed at the Meridian. Awesome condo, but no snorkeling in this area. The other two condos are in the same area.

A short 5-10 minute drive will provide snorkeling areas along the shore. Eden Rock is about a 10 minute drive right past the cruise ships and cemetery beach toward West Bay is about a 5 minute drive. Both spots offer some good snorkeling from shore.

This was our second trip to Grand Cayman. Likely headed back there again next year. The diving is awesome.

Mentioned in this post
The Meridian
The Meridian
131 Reviews
Grand Cayman
West Bay
West Bay
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,639 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seven Mile condos with snorkeling?

Can you snorkel? Yes, and it's a great way for beginners to find out if they can do it - the water is clear and calm, and once in a while you will see a fish or two.

If you actually want to see anything and have snorkelled before, then Seven Mile Beach is going to be disappointing. The things is, what people love about the beach is the sand, and the sandy entries. Neither of those lend themselves to good snorkel sites, where you want rocks, coral, weeds or the like.

The good news is that you have some nice snorkel sites fairly close-by. Smith Cove has some nice coral heads with the attendant fish, and you can even get a mass of silversides (I think) - thousands of them - and the fish that eat them. A really cool experience. Eden Rock, as mentioned, is slightly deeper, but with the clarity of the water it's a great, easy way to get a view of the mini-wall that runs around the island - I have seen a midnight parrotfish there as well as some triggers, along with the usual rays, blue tangs, tarpon, barracuda, etc. Others have seen turtles, but I haven't been that lucky.

If you want variety for snorkelling, then rent a car, and check out testudo's snorkel guide which shows a lot more locations around the island. It's at http://snorkelblog.tumblr.com/

So I definitely can recommend Cayman for a trip, but you need to make up your mind whether staying on the beach is more important than being right on the doorstep of excellent snorkelling.

Mentioned in this post
Smith Cove
Smith Cove
727 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
md
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Seven Mile condos with snorkeling?

Thanks for the input. St. John has reef snorkeling at virtually every single beach we had to drive to every beach because we stayed up in the hills. I was hoping to find a place that had snorkeling right out front but I guess that won't be the case. Again, thanks for the help!

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
hudson valley
Level Contributor
3,081 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Seven Mile condos with snorkeling?

There are lots of places with good snorkeling right out front, and many more with good snorkeling within a few minute's walk. They're just not on SMB, and may not have a big expanse of sand. If you're not set on SMB you could look at places such as the Turtle Nest Inn along the south shore, or any number of places along the north shore. Besides condos there are lots of private villas available.

Mentioned in this post
Turtle Nest Inn
Turtle Nest Inn
1,367 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
312 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seven Mile condos with snorkeling?

Have to disagree with Sue and Brit. I had a little staycation last week and the snorkelling on SMB was absolutely surprising. Especially since I was of a similar mind and was not expecting anything. A look at the Testudo guide sent me in the right direction. Cemetery beach, a short walk up from the north SMB condo's was excellent. I have tried here before but I guess not smooth water and not going far enough was the problem. Lots and lots of fish, some coral heads, lots to see. Governors beach was the biggest surprise, never would have gone unless i read the guide, an abundance of fish that I suppose have been fed by snorkelers before because they were extremely curious. Don't ask the species, all i can say is lots. The best was a bit north of the 200 yd bouy marker, which made me think because 200 yards inland is my work, and i had never made it there. Though not to the standard of Bloody Bay wall in Little Cayman, you can happily spend some time in the water nearby your condo.

Mentioned in this post
Governor's Beach
Governor's Beach
585 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seven Mile condos with snorkeling?

the Retreat Condos next to Rum Point has good snorkeling a bit out, but swimmable. this is on the other side of the island. it is not developed as much as SMB so not the number of restaurant choices, but good ones not that far away. The reef is pretty close in on the north side of the island. CHeckbout Testudo's snorkel guide

http://snorkelblog.tumblr.com/

Edited: 27 July 2014, 18:33
Mentioned in this post
The Retreat at Rum Point
The Retreat at Rum Point
86 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Rum Point
Rum Point
2,451 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
551 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seven Mile condos with snorkeling?

The Retreat has really great snorkeling in front and many other snorkel sites very close by. Like others have said check out Testudo's guide and save yourself time by following his directions. Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
The Retreat at Rum Point
The Retreat at Rum Point
86 Reviews
Grand Cayman
md
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Seven Mile condos with snorkeling?

Thanks for all the help! I think I'm going to revise my search and look at the Rum Point/Cayman Kai area. Thanks again!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Rum Point
Rum Point
2,451 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,639 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seven Mile condos with snorkeling?

I do think that you will find far more to your liking there.