We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Celiac - Gluten Free Friendly Restaurants

New England
Level Contributor
91 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
Celiac - Gluten Free Friendly Restaurants

Hi,

We will be doing a last minute trip to Grand cayman with our family including our 8 year old who has celiac (must eat gluten free). Are there any restaurants with gluten free menus or that are celiac friendly? Also,we love to try local food as well (at least we did before his celiac diagnosis) and would hope we could find a place where our family could all try the local food.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide!

Crowley, Texas
Level Contributor
344 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Celiac - Gluten Free Friendly Restaurants

Here is a trip report from a person with gluten free needs who visited GC in January.

…wordpress.com/2014/…

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
215 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Celiac - Gluten Free Friendly Restaurants

Oh, I'll have to check out that blog post! Thanks for posting that, texdentist!

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Celiac - Gluten Free Friendly Restaurants

I've found that although many restaurants don't have a specific gluten-free menu, the staff/chefs are usually quite knowledgeable and can help you pick something from the menu that will work for you, even if it requires a few adjustments to the recipe. Chef Ron at Tukka has been extremely accommodating, as have others when I've asked. I was also happy to find that there are many GF foods available at the grocery stores, including a good selection of Udi's products. I also make sure to take along my own supply of Quest protein bars just in case ... (Good for those rare times when you're caught eating in a restaurant that leaves you no options other than eating a salad.)

New England
Level Contributor
91 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Celiac - Gluten Free Friendly Restaurants

Thank you all for such helpful replies!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
215 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Celiac - Gluten Free Friendly Restaurants

Another thread just reminded me -- we ate at Over the Edge and Kurt's Korner, as well. My options were a little limited, and it took a little more effort to make sure my selections were gluten free, but everyone was helpful and very nice about it. And the food was GOOD.

New England
Level Contributor
91 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Celiac - Gluten Free Friendly Restaurants

We had a great trip. Grand Cayman is an easy island to visit if you have gluten issues. We only ate out a few times, but had an easy time. We enjoyed Aqua (extensive gluten free menu), Heritage Kitchen (they were accommodating); Sunshine Grill (they took my "allergy alert" card and were very thoughtful about it), Chicken Chicken (take out), and the wonderful Gelato shop in Camana Bay. The supermarkets were excellent and had great gluten free selections. Would feel comfortable going without bringing gluten free supplies. Thanks to all who gave me info before our trip!

7. Re: Celiac - Gluten Free Friendly Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2015, 06:16