We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Second Time Airlines "Changed/Cancelled" my flight!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
179 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Second Time Airlines "Changed/Cancelled" my flight!

Hi Everyone - looking for some feedback to see if anyone else has experienced what I am going through to get to GCM!

Back in April booked with JetBlue for October. A month later, the non-stop outbound flight was cancelled and moved to a day later with return flight moved to a day earlier. Obviously we didn't accept shortening our vacation and received a full refund.

In May booked with Delta for dates required. The flight prices were not non stop and were higher, but what choice did we have?

Now in August, Delta changed our flight and never even bothered to notify us. According to my itinerary on Delta's website, they have use departing on Wednesday to connect to a flight that departs on Tuesday! Obviously we are going to miss our connection - lol.

Now I am going searching for flights again!

American has flights on our dates connecting through Miami, but how do I know they aren't going to do the same thing the other two airlines have done?

I know there are many of you that have traveled to GCM in October - anyone from the East Coast (Newark/JFK) or has anyone else experienced what I am now going through?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Second Time Airlines "Changed/Cancelled" my flight!

Flight schedules change often, especially many months in advance but it's poor form by Delta to change a flight two months out without contacting you. Then again, I avoid Delta like the plague, as I'd suggest do most frequent travellers who have the choice...

I always recommend American for connections because they have 3 or 4 flights a day from Miami and generally speaking, worst case would be a flight later that same day. JFK-MIA is served multiple times a day nonstop by AA

I don't know your dates so just plugged in Oct 7-14th form EWR/JFK-GCM and I see $290 return connecting through Miami on the EWR-MIA-GCM run

Lake Mary, Florida...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Second Time Airlines "Changed/Cancelled" my flight!

Cayman Airways is my favorite... they allow 55lbs and 2 check bags free. Direct from MIA and TPA and more i guess.?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
179 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Second Time Airlines "Changed/Cancelled" my flight!

sajidgidda - I called Delta and they told me someone should have notified me. I asked why would they put me on a Wednesday flight to connect to a Tuesday flight (which is the day before) and why would they think I could make it? They had no response.

Since this is the second airline that "cancelled" or changed us, my concern is how do I know it won't happen with a third or fourth airline? I can't be the only one that wants to fly to GCM in October.

We have already paid for our condo so we have to be able to get to the island somehow.

At this point I am seriously considering getting our money back from the airlines and condo and scrapping this destination at this time of the year.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Second Time Airlines "Changed/Cancelled" my flight!

Nothing is guaranteed to be issue free, but going AA would be the path of least resistance. Delta, JetBlue have limited flights in to Cayman so you're at their mercy should something go wrong. AA can get you from the New York area to GCM on dozens of different combinations of flights and routes

Generally speaking, you should be able to claim a refund on a non-refundable ticket should the schedule change be this significant. If you paid more than $300 a ticket, you may even save money by booking via AA on the dates you want. October isn't a busy time of year, but it is the one month when I'm always on island. I'd see what kind of response you get from Delta regarding a refund and then rebook on a more convenient AA routing

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,837 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Second Time Airlines "Changed/Cancelled" my flight!

Is US Airways an option for you? We have used their flight from Baltimore to Cayman through Charlotte for well over 20 years with very few ( maybe two ) flight schedule changes.

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Second Time Airlines "Changed/Cancelled" my flight!

Since the AA and US Airways merger, logging on to either website will give you flight options/schedules for both.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,575 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Second Time Airlines "Changed/Cancelled" my flight!

When I book flights, especially months in advance, I always make a point of checking on them regularly to insure that there are no significant schedule changes. Experience has taught us that the airlines don't always get around to notifying you of a schedule change in a timely manner and/or they just stick an "alert" on your record which you won't probably see unless you do access your record. By checking frequently we have been able to usually get flights straightened out and desirable seats. If you wait for the airlines to notify you, you may end up without seats together and/or in the dreaded middle seat. As saj said, while things like non-stops, lower fares, and free bags can be a great incentive to booking with airlines like JetBlue or Cayman, the availability of multiple flights each day or even a daily flight can severely impact your plans if schedules change or things like mechanical issues or weather delay your departure.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
179 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Second Time Airlines "Changed/Cancelled" my flight!

Well, I cancelled today with Delta. I received a full refund along with 2,500 Skymiles for me and my husband. They did apologize for not notifying us, but that doesn't change the fact that they booked us on a connect flight that departs the day before!

I am going to take a chance and re-book on JetBlue and extend our vacation by a few days - JetBlue has flights from JFK on Satuday, Sunday, and Monday. I am going to choose the Sunday flight. This way if they cancel, I still have a day on either side to pick up the flight. I am booking one way since it is alot cheaper than round trip and will book a one-way return into Newark on United. I am not at all concerned about the return flight since it is about 70%+ full at this point.

My only problem now is that the condo we rented at Plantana is not available until Monday. Anyone have any suggestions where I should stay for a night or perhaps two? I was thinking hotel since it is just a short period of time, but I don't like having to pay the $60 "resort fee" and wifi fees. Most condos won't rent for a day or two. Is there another location on the island (perhaps off SMB) that may be a way to see more of the island?

Thanks for all your advice and kindness!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,471 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Second Time Airlines "Changed/Cancelled" my flight!

Suggest you stay at Sunshine Suites. Off the beach, but only a few blocks/properties from Plantana and reasonable by Cayman standards, or if you can get a good off-season rate the Westin (also close to Plantana).

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,575 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Second Time Airlines "Changed/Cancelled" my flight!

Agree with Sunshine Suites. You'll also have some kitchen facilities as you would in your condo, which may help off-set your additional costs. There's a small pool and a restaurant that is popular with many. I believe the hotel will give you chairs to take to the public beach, a short walk across West Bay Rd.

I agree about your Delta connecting flight, but we have also had similar problems with other airlines. It's as if the schedule changes for part of your itinerary and they just automatically make the schedule change in your record without making sure the new connection makes sense.