We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Grand Cayman - questions

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
First visit to Grand Cayman - questions

We are planning our first trip to Grand Cayman - January 2015

One of the highlights of our visit to St. Maarten was the little beach bar concept where you could dine outside and have an adult beverage concoction with fish tacos or the like - very relaxed / very casual / really nice. Otherwise, St. Maarten was not a place we wanted to return.

Two trips to St. John (USVI) were fabulous but St. John is rather quiet and we've done the tours to the British Virgin Islands and thought we'd try something a little more lively.

Trying to get a sense about whether you can walk up and down Seven Mile Beach without any obstructions (such as inlets restricting access). Can you walk all through the area where the Grandview, Marriott, and Comfort Suites are down to GeorgeTown? Are there casual beach bar kind of places in this area?

What ballpark costs are there for taxi's between these areas and restaurants for dinner.

All thoughts and suggestions from people familiar with Grand Cayman, George Town, and Seven Mile Beach are very welcome and will be much appreciated.

Grand Cayman...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
654 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to Grand Cayman - questions

There are no obstructions such as fences or inlets restricting access to walking along Seven Mile Beach. There are a limited number of "casual beach bar" kind of places, such as Royal Palms a short walk from the Marriott, Calico Jack's and Tiki Beach and Surfside are quite a ways further north just beyond the SMB Public Beach, and Al Fresco in West Bay overlooking the beach.

However the sandy beach does not extend all the way into George Town. Its southern end is just a few properties south of the Marriott. There are sidewalks into George Town along the main road though. There is also a public minibus service that runs in that area, all the way between George Town and West Bay including the attractions in North West Point area at the far end (e.g. Cayman Motor Museum, Dolphin Discovery, Cayman Turtle Farm) and also the "Hell" tourist attraction. The bus fare is US$2.50 each ride.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Grand Cayman - questions

I agree that you cannot walk on the beach all the way into George Town. Iron shore, which is very much like rock, prevents you from walking along the shore. But in the opposite direction, you can walk all the way to West Bay, which, despite being called Seven Mile Beach, is actually about 5 1/2 miles of beautiful soft sand..no interruptions. Buses are the way to go along West Bay Rd, which follows SMB. Taxis are probably bête at night.....maybe CI $10 to go between most condos/hotels and the local restaurants

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to Grand Cayman - questions

Very helpful and very much appreciated. Thank you.

All the casual beach bar places sound good and I'll do some research on each of them - thank you.

I'm a huge fan of walking along the beach so I don't mind a 30 - 45 - 60 minute walk to lunch along Seven Mile Beach. The minibus is always an option for returning to the hotel if we don't want to walk back.

Sounds like at night, a taxi for something in the ballpark of $15. USD (or less) each way is the best / safest way to go.

Do you know whether there are any quick / casual / fast food / food court kind of places within walking distance of Grandview, Marriott, Comfort, etc. for those evenings that a formal dinner is not of particular interest?

One thing we liked about the Westin in St. John was that there was a grocery store just off-property and it was a quick / easy / safe walk 24 / 7 (or at least in the hours that mattered to us - maybe 9:00AM - 9:00PM that is) where we could pick up a bottle of wine and where we could simply get sandwiches or something for a lite / casual / quick / non-formal evening meal. Any sense of whether anything like that exists nearby the resort area we're focusing on in Seven Mile Beach?

Sorry about all the silly questions. I'm so used to all the "first timer" questions on the NYC forum and I'm just like, OMG people, once you get here, it'll all make sense. And now I'm the "first timer" asking a gazillion silly questions that I'm sure will all make sense once we're there : ) Thank you!

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to Grand Cayman - questions

You can look at the Cayman Good Taste map for SMB to see the locations of restaurants, bars, condos and hotels: www.caymangoodtaste.com/interactive_map.asp…

Google maps for Grand Cayman will also give you locations and can tell you distances between restaurants/condos/etc.

Crowley, Texas
Level Contributor
344 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to Grand Cayman - questions

The Marriott is about halfway between two grocery stores - Foster's to the north and Kirk to the south. Both are a little out of reach for a casual walk, although it could be done. But since you would likely be carrying a load, a taxi or bus would be a better choice if you want to pick up a few groceries.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit to Grand Cayman - questions

Thanks. Do you know whether there is anywhere nearby (5 - 10 minute walk) to pick up a couple bottles of wine?

Is it safe to assume the walk across the road to the nearby restaurants and shops is perfectly safe / pleasant / lit at night (7:00PM - 10:30PM)?

Grand Cayman and especially SMB sounds / seems way safer than St. Maarten / St. Thomas. I hope I'm not mistaken. Thanks.

Crowley, Texas
Level Contributor
344 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First visit to Grand Cayman - questions

The Seven Mile Beach area of Grand Cayman is about as safe at night as any upscale city in America. The chance of crime is not zero, but it is generally very safe. I would not feel bad about walking anywhere along West Bay road between dusk and 11 pm or so. Also, I believe there is a Blackbeard's Liquor store a few minutes walk south next to Treasure Island.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,722 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First visit to Grand Cayman - questions

Yes, from area of Marriott you can walk along the beachfront tithe north for miles...not so much to the south. Several casual spots in the Marriott area for relatively inexpensive food and a smattering of beachfront venues for food and drink such as Royal Palms, or even Beachsuites, Westin, etc.

Totally agree with your take on ST. Maarten and ST. John! Grand Cayman is IMO a far better vacation destination than either of those two;-)

9. Re: First visit to Grand Cayman - questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2015, 06:16