We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Plantana vs. Caribbean Club

New Jersey
Level Contributor
179 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at Plantana vs. Caribbean Club

Hello everyone!

As you can see from my previous posts, the airlines have made a mess of our flights several times thus far for October. Now having booked two (2) one way flights from different airports and changing our dates, we are set to go!

The condo we have rented from Plantaya is not available for the additional time we need to accommodate our additional days and I was originally thinking of booking somewhere for a few days and then changing over to Plantana for the balance of our time.

Since we still have the ability to cancel Plantana, I am now thinking of changing to a location that we can stay at for the duration and have come across Caribbean Club as a possibility.

Can I have everyone's thoughts of Plantana vs. Caribbean Club, please?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,302 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at Plantana vs. Caribbean Club

OMG.....to me, the Caribbean Club is the Rolls Royce and Plantana is a Ford.

Nice but not in the same league

In my opinion!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
179 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at Plantana vs. Caribbean Club

cmgparsons - thanks - that is kinda what I thought - spent the day reviewing EVERY site for Caribbean Club and found very, very few negatives - just wish they had the same special that everyone else is offering of 5th night free, but guess we can't have everything! I think locationwise for SMB, Caribbean Club is better?

Just need to make sure that my cancellation for Plantana is not an issue before booking and I believe that I am going to take the plunge and switch!

Indiana
Level Contributor
248 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at Plantana vs. Caribbean Club

Carribean club has more of a hotel/resort feel and the beach will feel more crowded.

The condos might be more updated at Caribbean club but I like the small feel of Plantana.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
179 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at Plantana vs. Caribbean Club

Kim4200 - We are going the last week in September, first week in October. Do you think the beach will still be crowded at that time?

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at Plantana vs. Caribbean Club

It is correct that Plantana and Caribbean Club are in different leagues with Caribbean Club being a luxury property. It has a wonderful restaurant, Luca, onsite and is located within short walk to many other dining venues, grocery & liquor stores, etc. Have stayed in nearby condos during high season of March walking by on the beach and never viewed it as "congested" on the sand or at the pool. I would not hesitate to stay there!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,058 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at Plantana vs. Caribbean Club

As other have said, these two properties are in different leagues. As far as crowds, there are only a handful of places on the entire SMB where you will see crowds and none of them are condo properties.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
179 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying at Plantana vs. Caribbean Club

Thanks to all for your insight! I have spoken with Elena at Caribbean Club and working on reservations as we speak. They do not offer 5th night free as everyone else is doing, but I am fine NOT having to move. I just wish I could see interiors of the units to make a choice, but that is not an option from management.

I had already booked Sunday brunch reservations at Luca back in April, so we are set with that. Now, will be in full-swing to nail down the rest of my plans, especially since the vacation has been extended! YEAH!

Thanks to all of you for all your help!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,302 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying at Plantana vs. Caribbean Club

I am positive that you will be delighted with the Caribbean Club. We stay nearby 5 or 6 times a year, and I have never seen the beach there *crowded*.....or at any of the condos, as smushie noted.

You will appreciate the service there, and also the fact that you can walk to the supermarket & liquor store to enjoy snacks etc right in the privacy of your beautiful condo.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying at Plantana vs. Caribbean Club

I would feel very confident that ANY Caribbean Club unit will either meet and probably surpass your expectations! No free night promo translates to not needing to due to high quality and numbers of people who want to stay there for all the reasons that have been mentioned;-). Happy to know this lovely option is open for your vacation time and expect you will be more than delighted. Sometimes a glitch such as your airline woes yields unexpected results that are better than original plans!!! If you can secure Caribbean Club, you will definitely not be disappointed one bit.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying at Plantana vs. Caribbean Club

Looks like you already made your decision! I haven't stayed at Plantana but have stayed at Caribbean Club numerous times. I've only stayed in the beachfront units so if by chance you're staying in one of those, I can comment on the furnishings specifically. That said, I did tour 2 of the tower units and was able to rest in one of the pool facing units while waiting for my unit to open up. It was my experience that all were furnished with high end materials. It'll come down to personal preference on requesting a lower or high floor unit.

I also never experienced the beach/pool being crowded having stayed in both January and August over the years. Perhaps if there's a wedding or special event taking place it's possible to have more guests at one time convene in the area but we've always been fortunate.

Have fun!

(my avatar is of Caribbean Club's pool)

Edited: 04 August 2014, 23:11