We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Super Full Moon on August 10

Marshfield,MA
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Super Full Moon on August 10

I am hoping to include as part of my activities viewing the Super Full Moon rise up over the ocean. It's usually a breathtaking site wherever I get a chance to take it all in. The last time was from the top of a craggy cliff in Kauai last October. I am hoping to reproduce the awe... We are staying on the southern end of Seven Mile Beach. I am wondering, is there a best spot to view the rising full moon either on the bay side of the corridor or perhaps up in West Bay. All welcome to join in! I acknowledge that either Rum Point or certainly the East End would be ideal, but I am wondering what I can see a bit closer to home...

If you REALLY think that I should make the trip to one of the above locations; if it really is a better spot, I would give it a go. The only downside to the full moon is not being able to do the bioluminescent kayak tour! There WILL be a return trip...

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,581 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Super Full Moon on August 10

a few years ago we were having dinner at Tukka on the East End and I noticed this glow at the horizon and had no idea what it was.....turns out it was the moon rising. It was an amazing site. We've never seen this again though we are in Cayman at the same time of the year and have dinner several times at Tukka. Is this something that happens infrequently?

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Super Full Moon on August 10

I would think that it would be worth seeing it over open water, so I would make the trip to the eastern side of the island, and maybe combine it with dinner, if the timing allows....

Moonrise is at 6:54pm, while sunset is 6:57pm so it won't be dark at moonrise of course, but that would make it a nice time for dinner.... :-)

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,199 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Super Full Moon on August 10

You will have more problems seeing the moon rise over the ocean than your location on the island. The sky may well be cloudy according to weather forecasts. But the main problem will be that the moon will be rising in the middle of the day. Check out where the moon is today in the sky and also look at this link:

www.weatherincayman.com/wxastronomy.php

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Super Full Moon on August 10

@NorthSideSue, that timing is when it's exactly full moon, not moonrise.

Here is the link I used for my numbers: http://www.timeanddate.com/moon/uk/georgetown

ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Super Full Moon on August 10

I remember a few years ago the full moon over the East End. It was awesome! I have never seen it like that before!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Super Full Moon on August 10

I think the Tukka dinner sounds like an excellent idea to make it a memorable evening.

Grand Cayman...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
594 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Super Full Moon on August 10

If you don't want to go all the way out to Tukka for the moonrise over the sea and reef, here are some nearby options where you can watch the full moon rise over the North Sound which is pretty spectacular too:

The Blue Iguana Grill or the Grand Cayman Resort Pool Bar at the Holiday Inn - just about three miles from where you are staying.

Calypso Grill - about five miles away at Morgan's Harbour in West Bay.

The top of the observation tower at Camana Bay - that's closest to where you are staying, but it's not right on the water like the other two mentioned above.

Marshfield,MA
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Super Full Moon on August 10

Thanks All! I was wondering about Calypso Grill. I was only there once and remember being a bit walled-in. I could not remember if I was looking at tall manicured bushes or the water facing out from the deck.

Tukka would be awesome...I was trying to talk myself out of driving across the island. They actually offer a "Full Moon Dinner" either at the rail or on the beach!! I know I have a great chance of the clouds obscuring the actual moon rise...but if they don't it would be worth the trip to see the glaze of the full moon shooting across the water, toward the shore! It's such a memorable site. I realize that I am fortunate, in that I get to travel to the Caribbean 3-4 times per times per year. But I have only mananged to be in the Caribbean once before when there was a full moon. The one I saw in Kauai was spectacular. There was a woman there who considered herself a priestess of a sort in Hawaiian Spirituality and, to tell you the truth, made the whole experience almost emotional. I'm hoping some of Tukka's finest will bring back the emotionality this time :) Thanks for the ideas...I find few bad suggestions on this site...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Super Full Moon on August 10

IMO the food at Calypso Grill is just ok. I'm sure that many will disagree, but all entrees are served with the same *sides* and that just seems to me to be laziness on the part of the kitchen staff. Also, you are correct......the seating on the deck is super-close together with bushes on 2 sides. Uncomfortably close, IMHO. Then again, I don't like the seating arrangements at the Ritz or Marriott beaches, either. ;-)

10. Re: Super Full Moon on August 10

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2015, 05:17